Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question for moms who have parakeets or birds for pets...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:57 PM
  • 5 Replies

we have a parakeet had him for a year. he isnt friendly at all wont let us touch him or hold him but does sing pretty for us. and he is pleasent to listen too.but my question is can i get another parakeet to keep him company?? or will they kill each other since he is use to being alone???

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
amayabrianna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Most of the time they will be fine. Parakeets are notreally normally handled. But they almost always do good with another one. I would reccomend calling the pet store and explaining it to them and see if they will let you get one and maybe if it doesn't work out you can take it back? We use to do that where I worked. But overall most parakeets do well with others.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.       Proverbs 18:2

rainbow4-1.gif picture by amayabrianna

missymommyof1
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:14 PM

thank you we will try this

Quoting amayabrianna:

Most of the time they will be fine. Parakeets are notreally normally handled. But they almost always do good with another one. I would reccomend calling the pet store and explaining it to them and see if they will let you get one and maybe if it doesn't work out you can take it back? We use to do that where I worked. But overall most parakeets do well with others.

CharityS
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM

We have 2 cockatiels and a parakeet. We had the parakeet 1st, he wasn't the friendlist thing either LOL. Then I found the cockatiels, I got 2 of them for $40 plus a small cage. Got them home and I thought to myself the things are mean monsters. They must have never been handled or looked at for that matter. After a few weeks they finally calmed down. We eventually put the parakeet in with them and they are fine. They sing all the time and the parakeet has learned their sounds.

Charity

Karma-Gotta love her

Juliekat23
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I honestly do not care for birds.  Two years ago my dad took my then 9 mo old to Antique Alley (its a huge multitown garagesale/vendor thing in north tx) and because bird was one of the few words she knew-he brought home two of those suckers!! LOL I said they can stay at his house and she visits every week.

They do well together, and its really funny cause I think sometimes they argue! I know they are social and like company.  And you have to rearrange their toys often or buy them new ones because they get bored quickly. They are in a fairly large cage so they have plenty of room.

I would say yes, get another one-just watch them at first to see how they do.  Maybe put the two cages next to each other and let them interact through the bars first?

CafeMom Tickers

amayabrianna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Quoting Juliekat23:

I honestly do not care for birds.  Two years ago my dad took my then 9 mo old to Antique Alley (its a huge multitown garagesale/vendor thing in north tx) and because bird was one of the few words she knew-he brought home two of those suckers!! LOL I said they can stay at his house and she visits every week.

They do well together, and its really funny cause I think sometimes they argue! I know they are social and like company.  And you have to rearrange their toys often or buy them new ones because they get bored quickly. They are in a fairly large cage so they have plenty of room.

I would say yes, get another one-just watch them at first to see how they do.  Maybe put the two cages next to each other and let them interact through the bars first?

This is exactley what you should do. Normally start the new one in a different room for the night, like maybe a bedroom without a lot of traffic. They can hear each other so they know another one is there. Then put them in the same room but not necessarily right next to each other. Then put them beside each other then together. It lets them get to know each other without being thrown together from the get go.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.       Proverbs 18:2

rainbow4-1.gif picture by amayabrianna

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)