Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homemade laundry detergent question

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

if you make your own....

what do you scent it with?

where do you get stuff to make different scents?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
HuntersMomee
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:08 PM

anyone?

chabb
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

how do you make laundry detergent??  I have never heard of that before.

ajjs1972
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

u can get scented oil that is safe for clothing at the hobby store or somewhere like that. i looked in walmarts and krogers, but no luck there, but found some at the hobby lobby.

ERNAProud
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I ordered a set of essential oils off of amazon. It was a multipack and I experimented. I like the fresh cotton or fresh linen smells the best.

Recently, since hunting season, I stopped using it though because DH wants his clothes "scentless", lol.

I think the clothes still smell fresh even without the scents.

ERNAProud
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:14 PM

2 cups of grated ivory soap

2 cups of washing soda

2 cups of Borax detergent booster

You can either use it as a dry powder (thats what I do) or you can melt the soap (mixed with water of course) on the stove then add the other ingredients plus 1 gallon of water, stir, then let it set and it will form a gel-like substance. 

Use 2 tbsp. of the dry powder or 1/2 cup of the gel.

I use it in the powder form and I can do about 30 loads of laundry for less than a dollar. HUGE money saver!!!!

Quoting chabb:

angelove8
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM

check out that group frugal moms...they got alot of great ideas!

ShadowRaven
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I do the same thing (powdered) but I use Fels Naptha, it has a bit of a citriusy smell to it. You can use any bar soap you want.

Quoting ERNAProud:

2 cups of washing soda

You can either use it as a dry powder (thats what I do) or you can melt the soap (mixed with water of course) on the stove then add the other ingredients plus 1 gallon of water, stir, then let it set and it will form a gel-like substance. 

I use it in the powder form and I can do about 30 loads of laundry for less than a dollar. HUGE money saver!!!!

Quoting chabb:

HuntersMomee
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

thanks!!! :)

ERNAProud
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM

If I can get fels naptha at a decent price I do use it. It is very hard to find here though and I have to order it if I want it.

As far as ANY bar soap...just make sure it is not a beauty bar (live dove or something) because it has oils in it and you don't want that in your clothes.

Quoting ShadowRaven:

I do the same thing (powdered) but I use Fels Naptha, it has a bit of a citriusy smell to it. You can use any bar soap you want.

Quoting ERNAProud:

2 cups of washing soda

Quoting chabb:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)