Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tipping delivery people

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM
  • 16 Replies

Do you tip delivery people as much as you would in a restaurant for the same amount of food? What if the company charges a delivery charge?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ready_for2
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM

you SHOULD. the delivery charge DOES NOT go to the drivers. at least at most places.

i will actually tip them more bc they have to use THEIR OWN gas money to deliver. unless they work for somewhere that provides their own delivery cars.

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I usually give them between 5-7 dollars depending how much we order. I would never give them less then $5. so yeah I would guess it usually comes to about 20%.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM

If they charge a delivery fee then I reduce the tip.

They charge a fee of $2.25 here for pizza and I tip $3.00 on top of that. If there was no fee I would tip $5.00.

UxorQuodMatris

I usually tip around $3 (everywhere we've ordered has a delivery charge).  I tip more if it's a holiday (like V-Day or something lol) or if the weather is bad.

One year I ordered a pizza on Valentines Day (DH was deployed) and it was snowing really bad, so I tipped the poor woman like $10. lol.

imthatgirl728

But..they do geta  huge tax break for that.

Quoting ready_for2:

you SHOULD. the delivery charge DOES NOT go to the drivers. at least at most places.

i will actually tip them more bc they have to use THEIR OWN gas money to deliver. unless they work for somewhere that provides their own delivery cars.

nemiller
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM

i still tip like i would in a restaurant.  most places, the drivers either don't get compensated or only get a small compensation for gas.  so even though they might get paid more than a waiter/waitress, they're using their own gas money to give me a service.

Iconoclast
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM

In anything I tip if the person deserves it, period.

ready_for2
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM

where my DH works they get 7% of each order they take. so it really doesnt even come close to paying for the gas

Quoting imthatgirl728:

But..they do geta  huge tax break for that.

Quoting ready_for2:

charady

At our pizza hut, there is a $1 delivery charge.  The driver gets that to cover gas and wear/tear on their vehicles.  They drive their own.  So yes, they expect tips just as much as the waitresses do. 

Sunshine201

I always tip $5.00 to the delivery person.. Unless we order a huge order then I will tip$7.00....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)