Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you believe America as a whole over-medicates? Not bashing, just wondering.

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM
  • 105 Replies

I am not bashing anyone who has a real medical condition. However, it is my true belief that people overmedicate in many cases. There are so many situations with anxiety and depression, ADD and ADHD, IBS, even diabetes and most recently the swine flu... that can be handled effectively without medication. Maybe I'm just an old -fashioned gal but I'm not quick to medicate myself unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. I have anxiety and have had bouts of what I believe may have been depression and I still get this way sometimes. After I had my second daughter I am 90% sure I had some sort of PPD for about 6 months. However, with journaling and talking with friends and loved ones, I resolved it for the most part. ADD and ADHD in children bothers me a lot too. (This one may get me bashed) However, kids are kids.. I have met far too many parents who say their children are "going to be put on medication" or "checked for ADD/ADHD soon or already are on meds because they are hyper and crazy. Call me nuts, but that is how kids are supposed to be. Diabetes. Well, I have type 2 diabetes and they were quick to want to put me on medication AS SOON as my A1C came back at 8.5. I told them no, I wanted to try to change my diet, excercise more, and see what happens. After two months it still was not going down to what they wanted to see it at but I still refused and they thought that was nuts. Now.. after changing my habits with NO meds I have gotten my blood sugar under control for the most part. And lastly, the swine flu is all a big hype in my opinion. My whole family had the swine flu from my opinion and what I read up on it, but it was not much more serious than the regular flu and we handled it fine with no medication.

Anyone agree or is this just me?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Yes, I do believe that we over medicate in general. But I also don't believe in denying yourself medication if you genuinely need it. We have come along way with modern medicine and I do believe that it should be taken advantage of.

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Probably...but I wouldn;t go around telling other people not to medicate.

But I also wanted to say that just because it was your opinion that you had the swoine flu...doesn't mean you did. So the opinion that it didn't need meds is irrelevant.

gulfcoastmom4
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Quoting JulyBabies:

Yes, I do believe that we over medicate in general. But I also don't believe in denying yourself medication if you genuinely need it. We have come along way with modern medicine and I do believe that it should be taken advantage of.

julieobug
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM

It in my experience that doctors like to put you on meds before figuring out the problem...not always but its been my experience. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

babies

baby

gulfcoastmom4
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM

BTW do YOU have a child with ADHD?

kk_bella

How can you possibly put every American in 50 continguous states with a population of over three mil and hundreds of different cultures into the same category? "America as a whole" does not exist on this level.

DigiScrapperMom

Quoting gulfcoastmom4:

Quoting JulyBabies:

ready_for2

yep of course they do. there is so much money to be made by convincing everyone that they need to be on at least one medication. and that they need a prescription for every little thing that happens to them.

Trotterswife

I definatly think so. Its like if somethings wrong a lot of people automatically turn to meds. I turn to herbs and natural remedies. Im hardly ever sick and when I am I can get over it quickly naturally. 

Brandy.B
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Maybe I should clarify. After researching the symptoms online and comparing them and talking to my insurances free nurse I came upon the opinon as well as hearing the nurses that we had the swine flu.

But your right.. I don't know for sure I had it.

However, in my opinion, you don't need meds if you have the swine flu in all cases.

Quoting imthatgirl728:

Probably...but I wouldn;t go around telling other people not to medicate.

But I also wanted to say that just because it was your opinion that you had the swoine flu...doesn't mean you did. So the opinion that it didn't need meds is irrelevant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)