Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CS any info please

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:17 PM
  • 23 Replies

My brother's exgirlfriend just called him and said she is going after child support.  My family has no idea what all this entails because no one in our family has been through this.  His son is 3mo and my brother's name is not on the birth certificate.  We live in KS.  Any info would be appreciated!

I just wanted to add that I know my brother is responsible for his actions.  Neither person in this situation is innocent.  I want to protect my brother BUT make sure that his son is taken care of too.  My nephew is the number 1 priority!

baby 1stholiday

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Septpreggo
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM
i dont understand the question ive never been thru it ,but commonsense is they will go to court and the judge will order an amount based on his income, of course if the child is proven to be his
savedbygrace316
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:24 PM

And what about custody?  How does that affect CS?  I don't think it will really matter because my brother is about to join the military.  So anyone who might know about that some advice would be nice!

baby 1stholiday

greenie63
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Is he 100% sure he's the father? If he has a doubt, they will do a DNA test before any child support is awarded. He will have to pay for the cost of the DNA test. If he is the father, there will be a hearing usually a small office so he doesn't need to get nervous. He'll need to bring paystubs to show what he makes. They'll look at their joint earnings (there's a child support calculator) to determine how much he will be paying. His wages will be garnished, so he won't need to send any money to his child's mother.

Here's a link to the Kansas child support enforcement site

http://www.srskansas.org/cse/cse.htm

ladypyro
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:25 PM

yeah he needs  2 get his ass over there 2 his baby mamas and support his son!

Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:25 PM

First will be a paternity test since he's not on the birth certificate, if the paternity comes back that he is the father then he will have to goto a court and they will set child support based on  his income.

savedbygrace316

Sorry I didn't word it so great.  I'm wondering if there is a set %, how long it will take for a paternity test, how custody affects the amount, etc

Quoting Septpreggo:

i dont understand the question ive never been thru it ,but commonsense is they will go to court and the judge will order an amount based on his income, of course if the child is proven to be his

baby 1stholiday

greenie63

Custody is completely seperate from child support.

Quoting savedbygrace316:

And what about custody?  How does that effect CS?  I don't think it will really matter because my brother is about to join the military.  So anyone who might know about that some advice would be nice!

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Since his name is not on the birth cert. she wil have to prove paternity, the court will order a paternity test, if it comes bac kas him as the father, he will be ordered to pay child support - most states for 1 child it is about 20% of his income.  Custody and visitation will also be determined at the same time.  If they are civil with eachother then the best thing to do would be for them to sit down and determine how they want to work visitation before going to court, it will save time and money.

Pregnancy%20ticker
Septpreggo
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Quoting savedbygrace316:

Sorry I didn't word it so great.  I'm wondering if there is a set %, how long it will take for a paternity test, how custody affects the amount, etc

Quoting Septpreggo:

custody is a seperate issue and i have no idea about the rest, i just know its based on his income

savedbygrace316
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:30 PM

We make sure that the baby has what he needs.  The girl is upset because my brother started seeing someone else.  He was with her and the baby this morning and afternoon.  After he left his ex found out he was with another girl and that's when she was all "you'll never see your son again, I'm taking everything,  you're a deadbeat, etc"  He is not perfect but it's not like he isn't in his son's life.  And I provide FREE childcare for them multiple times a week and my parents are very involved in the child's life.

Quoting ladypyro:

yeah he needs  2 get his ass over there 2 his baby mamas and support his son!

baby 1stholiday

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)