Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

atheists are smarter and nicer ?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM
  • 144 Replies

Poll

Question: After reading the OP.

Options:

I mostly agree and will explain why

I mostly disagree and will explain why

something else ..I will explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 157

View Results

Atheism and secularity have many positive correlates, such as higher

levels of education and verbal ability, lower levels of prejudice, ethnocentrism, racism, and homophobia, greater support for women’s equality, child-rearing that promotes independent thinking and an absence of corporal punishment, etc.

And it is the more religious states that tend to have infant mortality rates higher than the national average, while the less religious states tend to have lower infant mortality rates (United States Census Bureau, 2005). Additionally, it is among the most religious states that one finds the highest rates of STDs (Sexually Transmitted Disease Surveillance 2007) and teen pregnancy (Guttmacher Institute, 2006). America’s Bible Belt also contains the lowest rates of college-educated adults, and of the states with the highest percentage of college educated adults, most are among the most secular in the country

Source Link

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomX04
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:11 PM

sealed lip  margarita time

BaisMom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:12 PM

LOL Oh lawd.

Would you like a glass of wine to go with your can of worms?

Young and single. Call me a statistic if you'd like, it doesn't change the fact that I am a smart, strong, and confident mother. There are also a number of other things that you might not like about me: I breastfed AND formula fed. My daughter is on a delayed vax'ing schedule. I had a c-section. Organic food is nasty. I don't spank, but I do whoop ass. I let my daughter get hurt and make mistakes, I want her to learn through experience, it's the best way. I am an Atheist, my daughter has never been to church nor read the bible. I don't believe that I need to look to a "god" to have morals. I believe in reason, science, the Earth, and I believe in PEOPLE. Despite my heathen ways, I have a pure heart <3 and my daughter is healthy, smart, happy, beautiful, and loving; and she knows she's loved.

Nzumbe
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:13 PM

It is a fact that Atheists are statistically smarter but I don't know about friendlier.  I guess that's where your article comes in.

randi1978
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Oh, man, Mack.....be prepared to get ripped to shreds.

Chaotic_Rayne
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:15 PM

I choose mostly agree... but I wouldn't say smarter exactly. There are plenty of very smart religious and nonrligious people everywhere. I do agree that we are way more tolorant and accepting of everyone... The only reason I would say "smarter" is b/c we have looked to education and logic to make our desisions about most everything. We don't look blindly and with closed minds like alot of religious people do. Not all Atheists are like that though... you got your bad apples that are filled with hate and have no reason...

momwith2monkeys
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:17 PM

popcorn

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Sure, sounds good to me.

I think the last statement is a very telling one. Yes the midwest, bible belt area would have the largest population of under educated people...being that that   area has lowest percentage of colleges percapita. It just makes sense.

kat4life06
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I don't feel comfortable agreeing or disagreeing with this statement. There is much more to consider that just a religious or non-religious stand-point. Yes, the statistics say what they say but they are based ONLY on the religious or non-religious views. Do they go into depth, which religion, etc? Probably not. Do they cover other aspects of life, such as poverty in the areas? No.

I think it is more the fact that some people (and sadly it does hit mostly very religious people) are closed-minded and it makes it harded to look at other ways of thinking and willingness to study different things.  Atheists are generally (not always) more open-minded and are more willing to learn something different than what they are told is right.  I think this 'state of mind' holds back many very intelligent people from proving to the world that they are smart.

*let the bashing begin*

Mommy to Alex Lee Cox (Nov 14, 2007) who is big brother to:

Pregnancy%20ticker

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin

"You keep accusing me of blasphemy all the time, but I cannot be convicted of a victimless crime." - Dan Barker

"There is no reason to believe God exists, so I don't." - Victor J. Stenger

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." - Dave Barry

Iconoclast
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I think that most people believe that they are great.  If they believe in a higher power or if they believe in nothing they are at least better, smarter, prettier, and all around nicer than the other.  People aren't all that great, no matter what you believe.  We have our moments.  But most of the time we are so busy trying to be better than whoever, and convince ourselves that we are right that our moments become few and far between.

Rachel12342
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Quoting MomX04:

sealed lip  margarita time

CafeMom Tickers

I'm a pro-life, anti CIO, co sleeping, non vaxing(PM me to find out why), 17 yr old Christian mom to Lorelai. I have an almost perfect GPA and hope to attend Duke university. I want to be a pediatrician or pediatric oncologist.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)