Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop judging!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

Stop!  Everyone stop!  I am sick and tired of everyone asking me what is 'wrong' with my son.  He is perfect.  He is the way he was intended to be. 

No he doesn't talk well and he is behind the curve for speech development.  He is very short and doesn't weigh as much as the other kids his age but that doesn't mean he is any less of a person.  No, he can't hear you call his name from across the room but he can see you look at him with discomfort in your eyes because you don't know what to say or how to say it.  He can see you look at him in confusion when he signs that he wants a drink or something to eat.

He can't eat pizza or cheese or any milk product because it makes him sick.  And no he can't eat any soy either.  No I didn't do anything wrong when I was pregnant with him.  It's an allergy.  I didn't do something to 'make' him that way.  It just happened.  I see your face when I pull out a special meal for him when I go out to eat.  No I don't trust a restaurant to be as cautious as I am with his food so I bring him food from home.

My son might not be able to speak, or hear as well as your child, or eat the same foods as your child but he loves just the same.  He is just as special as yours.  So stop judging when I sign to him instead of speak.  Stop judging when I feed him separately from myself.  Stop letting your children point and laugh because he doesn't hear them calling him to play or because he talks with his hands.  Just stop.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Photobucket
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicaRenee
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Wow, people are rude. How old is your son??

dreamerinluv
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM

If they judge its prolly bcuz they dont know any better.....just go on loving your son and let every other nasty thing PPL do/say go out the window......your son doesnt need their bad Karma  =) 

klmurf
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Bless your heart. Some people are just idiots! I don't understand how some parents can not teach their children to be kind. I have always made it a point to teach my children not to stare, and if one of my kids ever laughed at another child or adult, they would be in big trouble. I'm sorry you have to deal with all of that, just remember some people are just a special kind of stupid. 

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM

My son is 9.  He is 39 lbs just this week we realized he reached 43 inches.  He wears a size 6.  He has severe, life threatning allergies to all dairy, peanuts and eggs.  He has sensory issues.  I do the special meals too.  People look at me like I'm crazy when we go places and have to take it his special foods if there is something he can't have or can't handle the texture of  He is bright and energetic.  So I understand to a point what you are talking about.  However, we have taught him that he is wonderful just as he is.  He really has such a good attitude about it.  He knows he is smaller than everyone else but right now it doesn't bother him because we have worked with him.  We have taught him eating different is just fine. Some people eat different and don't have the issues he has.  He is tiny but he is mighty.  Ignore those people and let it go...not easy...I know but you know all the wonderful qualities that make up your son.  That what some people see as deficiency is not deficiency at all because he has learned to adapt and do things despite his challenges.  Celebrate who he is.  Let him know he is normal just like he is by not letting others get to you.  If it gets to you, it will get to him.  Hang in there and celebrate your precious child. 

babyboomboom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

Wow, people are rude. How old is your son??

18months.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Photobucket
wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Why are you assuming that everyone who looks in your direction is "judging" you and/or your son?  Perhaps your issue is really within yourself. Why do you even care what other people think if YOU don't think there is anything wrong with your circumstances?

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Nika001
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:36 PM

He's adorable, God made everyone perfect

LollipopDream
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I am glad you said this in a way. I am learning disabled and my son is behind also and my sisters husband has made fun of my son. To me he is perfect. I see all children as perfect no matter what. I can't stand to see people complain about the things their child can't do. I have seen it. I haven't gotten looks for my son but I personally have got looks because of the things I do or don't do myself. I might be a little weird and fly off the handle but everyone is perfect just the same. It really does warm my heart to know that you feel this way. If more parents could think of their children as perfect. Maybe some day everyone can lean to take people as they are.

katiebugg319
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:44 PM

<hugs> sorry people are so... rude for lack of better words. if only you lived near my brother, my nephew can talk a little bit but he also knows how to sign and i'm teaching my son to sign when he's a few months older. -don't let them get you down, if someone gives him a weird look i would just smile give him a hug and keep going.  your son is perfect, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. <hugs>

Scottysbaby87
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:47 PM

All I have to say is WOW...

Quoting wickedfiress:

Why are you assuming that everyone who looks in your direction is "judging" you and/or your son?  Perhaps your issue is really within yourself. Why do you even care what other people think if YOU don't think there is anything wrong with your circumstances?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)