Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your opinion ?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM
  • 3 Replies

Poll

Question: Should he have gotten the disability ?

Options:

Yes- it's an illness he cant control

NO- it may be an illness but it doesnt make him unable to work

Not sure

other - leave your opinion

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

I want to know what everyone else thinks about this.

A friend of mines husband WAS in the navy. He was in for about 3 years. He was discharged ( not dishonrable, not medically, just plan discharged).

They discharged him because he failed SEVERAL piss tests and is an alcoholic. They put him in a 90 day rehab program before they discharged him to give him another chance. ( he had continually got in trouble because of his alcohol problem and because well he is just a plan JACKASS).

ANYWAYS....... Thats a bit of the back ground.

When they discharged him they started paperwork for him to collect disability because of his "illness" ( being an alcoholic)

After almost a year he finally got word that his case wasnt pending and he had in fact been denied benifits. so the entire time he was waiting to hear results instead of getting a regular job he just sat on his ass played video games and spent all his wifes paychecks on alcohol.

IMO- the navy shouldnt have even gave him the idea to try for disability let alone start the paperwork for him. Just because he wants to waste his life and be a fuckin idiot ( really he is ) doesnt mean he cant get off his ass and work like everyone else.

big smile miniI love editing photos ! If you would like one done send me a PM big smile mini

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kat4life06
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Helllll no! Disability for an alcoholic is just handing them a reason to keep drinking!

My mother is an alcoholic and I hope she never hears of such a thing or it will just enable her to stop the very little she is doing on her own now and just drink her checks away...

Yes. Alcoholism is a disease. But I see it more of an addiction that becomes a disease. It can still be stopped with enough willpower.  It is not something that cannot be cured or even helped like many real disabilities. As I said before... disability checks for an alcoholic is an enabler... not something that would help them.

Mommy to Alex Lee Cox (Nov 14, 2007) who is big brother to:

Pregnancy%20ticker

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin

"You keep accusing me of blasphemy all the time, but I cannot be convicted of a victimless crime." - Dan Barker

"There is no reason to believe God exists, so I don't." - Victor J. Stenger

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." - Dave Barry

raegansmom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:40 PM

My dad's cousin gets disability for being an alcoholic too, God does it piss me off!  He is a grown man who has never worked a day in his life, his mother is seriously a millionaire, and he travels the country!  But we have to support him & make sure he has money to drink with?!?  No one will ever convince me alcoholism is a true disease.  It is an addiction, just like smoking.  You have 100% control over what you put in your body.  I don't know why we make it so easy for people to NOT take responsibility for their actions? 

NavyWifey122305
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Quoting raegansmom:

My dad's cousin gets disability for being an alcoholic too, God does it piss me off!  He is a grown man who has never worked a day in his life, his mother is seriously a millionaire, and he travels the country!  But we have to support him & make sure he has money to drink with?!?  No one will ever convince me alcoholism is a true disease.  It is an addiction, just like smoking.  You have 100% control over what you put in your body.  I don't know why we make it so easy for people to NOT take responsibility for their actions? 

I agree with you ! I dont think it should be called and illness or a disease. because to me  those are something you have no control over something you dont choose to have to live with.

big smile miniI love editing photos ! If you would like one done send me a PM big smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)