Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

guinea pig owners..please help

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:40 PM
  • 3 Replies

My husband's aunt bought my boys a guinea pig without my permission a few days after Christmas. I decided to keep the little turd and named her precious only to find out she is a he. lol. Didn't realize this until i took him to the vet. (yes i took him to the vet). We changed precious's name to Pipey ANYWAY the vet didnt' really know but i have heard from people and read on the web that its best to keep 2 guineas because of how social they are and that they are herd animals. I plan to nuter this little guy but i am curiousis it true you should keep 2? The aunt got a regular old guinea pig home but i don't think its big enough for the one. Not really sure but he isn't full grown yet.

So my questions are should i get another one to keep this one fully helathy and happy AND is it ok to use a smaller dog kennel as a guinea cage? (The kennel has a solid base but wire sides much like his current cage.

Thanks!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
alexhuntercody
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM

bump!!!!!

brey1221
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Ive had guinea pigs growing up and there wonderful pets. If you have a male they usually like to have a buddy females however like there space and usually dont do well with roomates. You dont have to get him a buddy if your kids are frequently paying attention to him there very social pets and as long as he gets plenty of attention and love he should be fine by himself.

CaeliMommyUSMC
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I had one when I was little and we ended up going back and getting her sister because ours looked so lonely.  They ended up fighting while in the same cage and had to get another one.  When the one died a few years later the other ended up dying too and we think its because it sad....not really sure.  I was only 10.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)