Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TV Dinners

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

I live in a trailor, and I need propane to cook anything from scratch. Sometimes I run out and have to resort to tv dinners, which I keep on hand. I usually buy the $1 Banquet meals, which are small, but they suit me in a pinch. I notice my son likes them, too (he is 15 months old and has 8 teeth, so he can handle more foods). Is there any harm in buying him these little meals for his lunches and dinners? They are the perfect size for him, and I think its better than fast food or making him wait while I try to think of something to make from scratch. And, they are cheaper than those Gerber toddler meals.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ang9403
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM

No nothing wrong with it.

curveymama
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM

once in a while i would say its okay...but not every day for lunch and supper...at least i wouldnt feed that to my kids every lunch and supper every day...

lizinthecountry

Probably not too bad once in a while, but you may want to check the sodium content in them.

mamaslilpunkin
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Just need to watch the sodium and cholesterol in those.Sometimes they are jam packed with that stuff and saturated fat.Not to be a buzzkill or anything :) 

JenieceMojica

OMG that brings back memories! my mom use to make those for us when we were younger... i see nothing wrong with it.. I still eat them and so do my hubby and kids...

FYI:: they have the BEST mac & cheese EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Photobucket

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:57 PM

they are filled with fat and empty calories and loaded with sodium. You would do best to make your own "premade" meals. Make a big batch of chicken nuggets and pair them with a healthy side then freeze them yourself. That way when you run out of propane or are short on time you can pop a healthy meal out in minutes.

NavyWifey122305
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:58 PM

they may be cheaper BUT they are actually really unhealthy especially for a growing toddler.

big smile miniI love editing photos ! If you would like one done send me a PM big smile mini

single_and_preg
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:58 PM

good question...my son eats canned beeferoni , spaghetti,  rice and vegetables, mac & cheese alot, and I wonder if it is bad for him.

madelyns_momma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM

It's not going to kill him, no, but they are not healthy. They are loaded with salt and preservatives and crappy foods.  On occasion is certainly okay, but not frequently. Most ready-made/instant meals are unhealthy. Think WHOLE foods, veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean meats...

Joylynn77
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:09 PM

That's a good idea!

Quoting SuperPickle:

they are filled with fat and empty calories and loaded with sodium. You would do best to make your own "premade" meals. Make a big batch of chicken nuggets and pair them with a healthy side then freeze them yourself. That way when you run out of propane or are short on time you can pop a healthy meal out in minutes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)