Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you know when your female cat is in heat?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:15 PM
  • 18 Replies

I'm fostering two female cats and I've never had a female cat before... so I don't know how to recognize it. .. she's following my cat, who's male(don't worry he's neutered), around and yowling up a storm and rolling around in front of him, and sticking her butt in his face. He simply looks at her with a strange expression when she's doing this.. but she's kind of getting on my nerves... because she won't stop this constant loud yowling...(now meowing.. it's different)

Is she in heat? How long will this last?

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
savedbygrace316
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Uh yeah sounds like she isI'm not sure how long it last.  My cat seemed like she was always in heat until we had her fixed. 

baby 1stholiday

CJsMommy312
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I am not a vet or anything, but I have grown up with cats. It sounds like she is in heat. Don't let her outside or she will come home prego and you will have baby kitties!!

baby in slingnavy

Wife to a Sailor and Mommy to a Baby Girl

jessil83
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM

ya sounds like she is in heat. when mine where kittens it seemed like it lasted forever, sorry i don't remember how long it lasted b/c they've been fixed.

Kaden will be missed greatly. He was a precious little boy who was very loved. Sarah my heart goes out to you, and if you need anything I'm here.

celticreverie
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM

she's in heat... and it is terrible, and annoying LOL.. I'd get her spayed as soon as it ends.

Estrus ("heat") is the mating period of female animals. When estrus occurs, animals are said to be "in heat" or "in season." Cats normally have their first estrous cycle between 5 and 10 months of age, with the average age around 6 months.

The female cat has 2-4 estrous periods every year, each lasting 15-22 days. If she is bred, estrus seldom lasts more than 4 days.

If successful mating does not occur, estrus may last for 7-10 days and recur at 15- to 21-day intervals. It is possible for an unmated female to cycle every 3-4 weeks indefinitely.

Cats also have an estrous period 1-6 weeks after giving birth, so a female may be nursing one litter while pregnant with another.

Behavior

Since there is usually no obvious vaginal discharge or swelling of the genitals during estrus in cats, as is seen in dogs, behavioral changes are the only obvious signs that your cat is in estrus.

A cat in estrus carries her tail to one side, keeps her hindquarters elevated, exhibits "treading" movements of the hind legs, and seems unusually affectionate. She spends a good deal of time rolling on the floor and seems much more restless than usual. The cat's voice seems more piercing than usual and she may "call" for 1-2 days before she accepts the male.

NavyWifey122305
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM

she is in heat. lol  dont let her outside at all unless you want her preggo. you may have boy strays at your door off and on to because they can smell when a female is in heat from a good distance.

big smile miniI love editing photos ! If you would like one done send me a PM big smile mini

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Quoting celticreverie:

she's in heat... and it is terrible, and annoying LOL.. I'd get her spayed as soon as it ends.

She's not my cat.. she's one of my foster animals. She's probably around 6-7 months old.

Is there anything I need to do for her? I really am just at a loss for what to do here. LOL

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

inay522
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM

yah shes in heat, my cat is too, it drives me nuts!

michelle121003
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Not much you can do except get her fixed or laid...

A female cat can be heat FOREVER...or so it seems...until one of the above happens...so, sorry, not much help!!

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting celticreverie:

She's not my cat.. she's one of my foster animals. She's probably around 6-7 months old.

Is there anything I need to do for her? I really am just at a loss for what to do here. LOL

jenny53669
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM

YEP!!! ANNOYING isnt it!! lol my cat actually rubs her junk on you when shes in heat....its just NASTY!!!! and she like gets all sprawled out and she acts like shes kneading the ground. and shes lOUD!!!! good luck....if you find a cure let me know!! it last about a week 

shecallsmemom04
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM

that is on my top 10 list of most annoying things in the world.

good luck with that. 

everyday 1 out of 600 pit bulls find a forever home. the other 599 die in shelters. that means, 599 pit bulls are killed every single day. SAVE a pit bull, EUTHANIZE a breeder.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)