Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me about your guinea pigs....we are thinking of getting one for my nine year old daughter.

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM
  • 4 Replies

Poll

Question: Which makes a better pet?

Options:

hamster

gerbil

rat

mice

guinea pig

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

We are trying to decide what to get my daughter for her birthday. Most moms I've read on here seem to vote against getting a hamster. I see alot of posts about rats. I think we want a guinea pig. Tell me about your small furry pets. Can anyone with a guinea pig tell me how much maintenance for them cost?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
-xoxo-
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I've had TONS of different pets in my lifetime. I've never had a rat, but I've had all of your other choices. Out of the ones I know about, I'd go with guinea pig. They make an annoying squealing noise and are skittish, but they rarely bite. They can also scratch you up like a bunny with their nails. The other pets on your list are wayyyy worse though.

mrs.ramirez
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Hampsters are fun to breed but with little ones...some can be VERY temperamental. They are known to bite out of fear...and with little ones and their jerky movements...expect this.

Gienie pigs are VERY sweet. I grew up with them from a very young age...and they live for long periods if taken care of properly...

Mine would start squeaking when I walked in the room until I picked him up....lol...he was awesome!! They don't tend to bite...or it takes A LOT for them to bite.

Remember Dax.
  Help run St. Jude for 1 day!

femomof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Guinea pigs are cute and sweet, but they stink really bad.  My favorite rodent is not on your list: rabbits.  IF you can find a true dwarf rabbit (not a mini-lop) they are the sweetest animals.  You can litter box train a rabbit and if they do poop it's a hard pellet.  No mess.  We cleaned our bunny's cage regularly and used cedar shavings so it always smelled nice.  My dwarf lived for 7 years and was my most favorite child hood pet.   

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:22 PM

i love our guinea pig! Gracie-Lou is her name. lol

The nails are somewhat of a problem, but if you keep on top of cutting them, they'll remain short and wont scratch that badly. Make sure that they get socialization for at least a hour a day. G's cage needs to be cleaned once a week. The food is about $4 here which lasts about a month, maybe more, and the bedding is $16, but the size that we get is really big and lasts about 2+ months. (our cage could fit 3 guinea pigs in there comfortably). There's treats and all that which costs between $2-$8. the biggest/important thing that we got her was a wooden log- hiding is in their natural instinct, and they can chew on it to keep their teeth healthy/cut. G loves lettuce, grapes, apples, etc. she only gets small portions but since we already have it in the house, its not that big of a financial strain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)