Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Baby's father in prison, who pays for baby?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM
  • 24 Replies

Just wondering - if a child's father is in prison, does the government give any type of public assistance to the mother of the child?  For instance would that be a legitimate reason to draw from social security such as when the parent of a child dies?

(This is by far NOT my situation, I have just always wondered who pays for the kids when a parent goes to prison/jail)

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetnsassymami
by Diabla on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM

No I don't think there's any "seperation pay" in place lol. but I would think PA would be available if you qualified.

amayabrianna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Nope! The child support will accrue but none is received from anyone while they are in jail. Went through this with my SS.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.       Proverbs 18:2

rainbow4-1.gif picture by amayabrianna

jridgill
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM

my daughters dad was in jail for about a year. His parents made sure his CS was paid every month. I never received any type of PA. 

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:34 PM

If they qualify for PA then they will get it, but if not they get nothing.  My sons sperm donor spent close to a yr in jail and all that happened was his rears child support got bigger and bigger lol.

Pregnancy%20ticker
mommasbabies77
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:35 PM
My guess is momma pays.

BaseballMom34
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I think it depends..My nephew is in Federal Prison and they pay his childsupport for him but he has to pay it back when he gets out.

SurvivingMommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM

No one pays. However inmates can get SSD because they are incapable of working. (i know crazy right) They will get denied the first time but they have to apply again. After they are approved, the mothero f the child can apply for dependent benefits, so that child support does not back up etc. BUT this is only logical if the child's father is doing an extended temr.. I'd say at least 3-5 years, because the process is a long one..

KT9105
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM

If one parent goes to prison it's up to the free parent to take care of things.  You could try to get CS out of his family, but that seems like it'd be a longshot in most cases.  At any rate the Social Security system shouldn't be involved.  The parent's a criminal, not dead.

bigmommasmomma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Quoting mommasbabies77:

My guess is momma pays.

& You are completly right!!!!

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:42 PM

hmmm I dont think that is true,,,my moms husband gets SSD and when he is in jail it stops,,until he gets out then they start it again

Quoting SurvivingMommy:

No one pays. However inmates can get SSD because they are incapable of working. (i know crazy right) They will get denied the first time but they have to apply again. After they are approved, the mothero f the child can apply for dependent benefits, so that child support does not back up etc. BUT this is only logical if the child's father is doing an extended temr.. I'd say at least 3-5 years, because the process is a long one..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)