Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for all you military wives....

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:57 PM
  • 34 Replies

My sister recently started dating a marine, and I was wondering how long after starting to date your so did you get married?  Their relationship seems to be moving at warp speed, I understand why they have to cram months worth of dating into two weeks leave. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
little.miss.mom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I met my hubby when I was 12 we started dating when I was 17 and got married 3 months later after I turned 18. We have been married 5 years and still going strong.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I hate to say it but a lot of people in the military get married for the wrong reasons...just tell her to be careful....

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Very quickly but when you know you know.  Hubby and I will celebrate 5 years of marriage in June and everyone always says they wish they had a marriage as good and strong as ours.  But yes a lot of military marry quicker then others.  We got engaged quickly and from engagement date to our wedding date was 2 months exactly (course I never wanted a long engagement and he was likely to deploy if we planned a wedding far in the future).

AMarineLovesMe

LOL we moved in together after dating for 2 months and married 4 months after that.

Pregnancy%20ticker
KT9105

We were together 5 years almost before we married (started "talking" Jan 2001, married September 2005).  But we were in no hurry.  He was stationed in GA, I lived in SC, so I got to drive down to see him alot, then he got stationed in our hometown (we're both from Columbia, SC).

I know some people rush to marry if a deployment's coming up but we never did, even after 9/11 when he knew he'd be leaving. 

Woodlyn
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I married my DH before he joined the military, but from meeting his Marine friends and hearing about others' experiences with dating during active duty it seems that speedy relationships is a common trend.

MomTo2Boys2526
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Met my husband when we were 15, got married at 18 but we got married before he joined, we were 20 when he left for basic..

air force

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:04 PM

We were already married when he joined the military. :)

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Rianad1
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:04 PM

they have known each other for two years.  It didn't get romantic till after he was out of boot camp.  THat was four months ago, he came home for leave right before christmas and left yesterday.  While he was here he gave her a promise ring.  He will deploy in march to Afghanistan.  They are definetly in love, I have never seen her like this.  I am happy for her just worried about it all going to fast.

CafeMom Tickers
sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:04 PM

dh proposed after a year but we didn't get married until 4 yrs of being together. so three years and some change after the proposal. At the time he proposed we were both ad. just tell her to be careful...military life isn't easy. don't get married to get some bah and dependent pay LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)