Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A meat lover mom need a vegan/vegetarian moms help...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:35 PM
  • 33 Replies

My (almost) 7 yr old son decided to become a vegetarian last year ... He said he wouldn't eat a thing that once had a face... anyways, we thought it was a phase but we were wrong... Of course I'm used to cooking stakes, burgers, fish, fried or baked chicken, pork chops, roast...etc and never thought in a million years I'd have a problem feeding my kiddo....

He became extremely anemic few months ago so I made him eat raw spinach, asparagus, and broccoli for two weeks.. now it's part of what he eats but not everyday..... My problem, is that my son is always HUNGRY nothing I give him fills him up which is crap most of the time if u ask me --mainly cereal,PB&J, grilled cheese, spaghetti, broccoli soup, potato soup, vegetablesoup, pop tarts and on occasions pizza... can you please please give me ANY advice on how to feed him healthy? any recipes? I"ve been googling healthy vegetarian recipes all night and none of it seems reasonable , and call for wiered ingredients that i can't find in my small town.... I need something close to home... like (home cooking food with no meat) .... Thanks in advance

P.S. My son would NOT eat ANY vegan meats that look like real meat....

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
uglykitty77
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:43 PM

***Pump*** !!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

AprilDJC
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Have you tried the morningstar farms corn dogs? They are vegetarian and they taste VERY similar to a regular corn dog. My kids couldn't tell the difference and we use them when they or I feel like a corn dog. You can also cook bean soup as a familiy meal. You get 1 lb dried beans of whatever kind you prefer. Sort them (pick out any broken beans and stones), rinse them, and put them in a pot with water covering about 3" over the top of the beans. let them soak overnight or for a quick soak, bring them to a boil for 2 minutes turn off the heat, cover and let them sit for 1 hour. Drain, refill with water to about 1" over the beans. Add a bay leaf, a packet of chili seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and let it cook for about 2 hours til the beans are soft. Make cornbread or biscuits to go with this. You can also make him vegetarian lasagna, veggie stew, cheese enchiladas, quesadillas, black bean burritos, I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them right off. I'll find some recipes and post them on here for you.

youngmommy2be09
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:46 PM

No clue hun. I eat meat and have my entire life.

I dont know what else you could try.

So heres a BUMP!

Photobucket

AprilDJC
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Vegetarian 4 cheese lasagna (you can also add spinach to this)

Ingredients

• 2 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
  • 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
  • 5 tomatoes
  • 1 pint ricotta cheese
  • 9 ounces crumbled feta cheese
  • 2/3 cup pesto
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • fresh pasta sheets
  • 1 1/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place pumpkin on a baking sheet and roast in oven until browned and tender, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grill eggplant on a charcoal grill or fry in a skillet, turning once, until charred and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Halve tomatoes and place on baking sheet in oven for last 15 minutes of pumpkin time; cook until tender and wrinkly.
  3. In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, feta, pesto, eggs, salt and pepper until well mixed. Fold roasted pumpkin into ricotta mixture.
  4. Spoon half of the tomato sauce into a 9x13 baking dish. Lay two pasta sheets over the sauce. Arrange a single layer of eggplant slices over pasta and top with half the ricotta mixture. Cover with two more pasta sheets. Arrange the roasted tomatoes evenly over the sheets and spoon the remaining half the ricotta mixture over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Top with remaining two sheets of pasta. Pour remaining tomato sauce over all and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
  5. Bake in preheated oven 30 to 40 minutes, until golden and bubbly.  
uglykitty77
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Quoting youngmommy2be09:

So heres a BUMP!

Thank you for the pump....

youngmommy2be09
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Heres another bump.

There may be a vegitarien (sp?) group on here. Maybe you can add one of those and ask for recipes.

Photobucket

KT9105
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I don't blame him for not eating the vegetarian/vegan meat substitutes, I've tried them, they're gross to me (I was a vegatarian in college).  Anyway, my mom is a partial vegetarian I guess.  She just doesn't like meat, never really has - even as a child.

She eats a lot of pasta, tons of veggies and salads and eggs.  Will your son eat eggs?  I know some vegetarians who do and some who don't.  But even the ones who don't eat things made with eggs (cakes, cookies, etc) so it seems a little off to me.  Anyway, my parents are also Catholic so during Lent there's always meatless meals.

Our favorite growing up were my Uncle Jimmy's Enchiladas.  I modified it a few years back because it's easier to make as a casserole than individual enchiladas.

For a 9x9 casserole we use:

8 corn tortillas (the 6 inch ones)

1 green pepper (bell)

1 red pepper (bell)

1 yellow pepper (bell)

1-2 chopped tomatoes (depending on how big they are and how much you like tomatoes)

1 bag shredded lettuce

2 cloves garlic

Salt & pepper

Red or Green enchilada sauce

Cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese

Chop all the veggies (obviously) and mix them together with the garlic and salt & pepper.

Soft fry (fry for just about a minute at most) the tortillas, dip them in the enchilada sauce, then place an overlapping layer of the tortillas in the casserole dish (you'll have 4 tortillas on the bottom of the casserole).

Layer the veggies, then cheese, then another layer of the soft fried, dipped tortillas, another layer of veggies, another of cheese, and pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the final layer of cheese.

Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

youngmommy2be09
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:49 PM

pump? lmfao!!!!

Quoting uglykitty77:

Quoting youngmommy2be09:

So heres a BUMP!

Thank you for the pump....

Photobucket

Nzumbe
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I don't know.  I eat the vegetarian meat.  Why is he opposed to it?

AprilDJC
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Brown rice and black bean burritos

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 3 cups cooked Texmati┬« Brown Rice
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained
  • 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
  • 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1/4 cup prepared salsa
  • Directions

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Saute 3 to 5 minutes until onion is tender. Add rice, beans and corn. Cook, stirring 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is thoroughly heated. Remove from the heat.
    2. Spoon 1/2 cup of the rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each with 2 Tbsp. cheese, 1 Tbsp. green onion and 1 Tbsp. yogurt. Roll the tortilla up and top with 1 Tbsp. salsa.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)