Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Delayed or No Vaccinations.....

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

To those mommies who choose not to vaccinate their children or choose to delay vaccinations..

How do you tell the doctor or whoever immunizes your child?

The reason I ask is because I honestly want to wait on vaccinations but the person who gives the immunizations on base PUSHES for it to be done. I mean she is a nice person and they are my children but I just don't know how to say well we are waiting or just not right now..

Also does your child HAVE to be vaccinated to attend public school? My oldest has like one or two shots he has to get before he goes to school (this up coming year) but I feel hesitant to do so..

air force

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tigerlily721
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I think you just have to keep looking for the right doctor. Most have their own agenda. It can be frustrating.

CheshireCat420
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Check your message inbox. :)

Gwynevere

tigerlily721
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:56 PM

I told my kids' doctor that I wanted to spread them out. I'm not sure what you do if you want to avoid vaxes. My friend's kid had a seizure reaction to a vax and she still had to jump through hoops to get a note for school excusing him from getting that particular shot again.

MomTo2Boys2526
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Wish I could but since we are active duty military and live on base we have to see a PCM on base (I have tried to switch off base for MY PCM and it didn't work.....long story) and the doctor themselves don't do the vaccinations but we do have an immunizations part and its just the lady who works there and I can't "change" her..

My kids are behind on their shots because of everything that has gone on (moving around like mad crazy and health stuff) but like the time we had to go for the flu shot, she kept saying "Your going to bring ... in right? She needs her shots!" And just a few more things that had a "pressuring" demeanor...

Hope that makes sense! lol

Quoting tigerlily721:

I think you just have to keep looking for the right doctor. Most have their own agenda. It can be frustrating.

air force

LollipopDream
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Our sons doctor will only do 2 shots at a time. Most doctors like to pump the poor kids full of to many at one time. We never had to ask he just did it.

eag3134
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:06 AM

SCREW THOSE DOCTORS IT IS ALL PROPAGANDA... how many vaccines have they given to adults that they havent used research to determine their value and just keep giving them away like goddamned candy or something..... I HAD THE CHICKEN POX VACCINE MORE THAN ONCE AND NEVER DEVELOPED CHICKEN POX UNTIL THE THIRD SHOT.... WHAT A CROCK.... I THINK ALL THESE DUMB ASSED DOCTORS SHOULD BE HELD DOWN AND SHOT UP EVERY MONTH UNTIL THEY GET SICK AND THEN WE SHOULD GIVE THEM TYLENOL AND SEDATE THEM LET THEM KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO BE SICK .... SCREW THEM

YES IT IS STATE LAW YOUR CHILD HAS TO BE IMMUNIZED FOR SCHOOL AND IF YOU CHOOSE TO HOMESCHOOL ALSO THEY MANDATE IN PLACES OF LIFE WHERE THEY HAVE NO SAY....

Rachel12342
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM

This site is great. http://www.unhinderedliving.com/statevaccexemp.html I am 17 and I haven't been vaxed since age 2. I've been in private and public schools without a problem

CafeMom Tickers

I'm a pro-life, anti CIO, co sleeping, non vaxing(PM me to find out why), 17 yr old Christian mom to Lorelai. I have an almost perfect GPA and hope to attend Duke university. I want to be a pediatrician or pediatric oncologist.
Loa1002
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM

It is not a law to be unvaccinated but to go to school they want exemptions.

I told my doctor we were not vaccinating, period. She asked can I ask you why and I said I was not comfortable with the ingredients. I have learned a lot since then. I should have just said one of the exemptions for my state like religious.

Do NOT sign anything that the doctor gives you. Take it with you and read over it and then always forget it. Have you joined Choosing Not to Vaccinate group yet?

this site will help you

http://www.nvic.org/vaccine-laws.aspx

Double.L
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM

You don't have to explain anything to them, there doctors not daddy's. Tell him you will only get x shot, or that you aren't choosing to get any at this visit. If he asks why tell him and if he tries to lecture you tell him, thanks but Ive already made the right decision.  If he has the balls to get an atttude tell him you don't appreciate how unprofessional he is being. Remember he works for you.  If saying those things makes you uncomfortable just skip the immunization room after the appt.  When I choose to skip a vac they've never asked why at the next appt.  I go to the doctors on base as well, I never use my PCM.  Ask for someone different when you book your next appt.

You can get an exemption for school. I'll send the link in a sec for you to look up your state.

He's my star....and I'm his sky....

gkm15099
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I delay vac, because of my girls prematurity.  I found that what helps is to have a plan...If you come in with a well researched plan of what vacs you plan to do when, docs are more willing to let you.  I used a modified verson of Dr Sears plan.  I would have used his plan completely, but I have to have my girls completely caught up by the time they are four, plus three extra vaccinations, because we are going to South Africa/Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2011 to see my dad and I can't take them to this country without all shots.

I am not sure how military drs work, but I know in private practice, you need to be prepared for the extra copays you are gonna pay by doing it this way.  I would estimate that I have spent over $1000 extra dollars in copays on my triplets, because of the shot visits.  Not that I would change it, but it wasn't something I was prepared for. 

As far as school goes, must just require you to sign a waiver, but understand that if an outbreak occurs, you CAN NOT send your child to school!  All states allow medical and religious exemptions.  Some states are now allowing a Try religious first, because you DR won't have to sign it.  Some states now have a  philosophical one.  You can check here to see if yours does!

http://www.ncsl.org/Default.aspx?TabId=14376

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)