Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

do schools close for really cold weather?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:32 AM
  • 28 Replies

My husband's sister had to go into the hospital for surgery and i have her daughter for a few days. Its suppose to get really cold here; like below zero windchill temps outside in the next few days and i'm wondering if they will send them when it gets that cold? I don't know if i will feel its safe to take my boys out in it to get her to school if they don't cancel.

Anyone know how likely it is for them to cancel for that kind of weather? I mean they are saying on the news that in that cold noone should go out and any errands should be done today before the cold sets in. Its suppose to get really windy too on top of the cold.

by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoneNutty
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:36 AM

I have never heard of a school closure due to cold weather. I know they didn't close them down here when it got to be -3 degrees in the morning. They just made all the kids go right into the building and were not allowed to play outside during recess. If I were you, I'd call the school and see though. Maybe, if you don't want to take your kids out, the school would be willing to send home some school work for your sisters children for the next couple of days? It'd be worth asking...I HATE the cold! lol!

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:36 AM

They call it off here for the cold, Omaha.  There's usually a windchill factor, but our district has missed 4 day so far from windchill and snow mixed. It was 25 below then and today it's 6 degrees.  I think today's closing is because of the addtl snow, though.

It depends on the district and how cold it is  usually.

MamaCeleste0722
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:37 AM

I'm sure it depends on where you live. I live in Texas and we're supposed to get that Artic freeze, single digit wind chills. I know our district won't close unless it ices over. 

Just_Bethy
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

I'm sure it depends on where you live. I live in Texas and we're supposed to get that Artic freeze, single digit wind chills. I know our district won't close unless it ices over. 

I am in Tx and ours only close for dangerous travel conditions to....

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

cradlerobber
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Our schools here in Ohio close at -20 windchill...Because of the kids that walk. 

Alice_in_Wonderland_Sexy_Costumes.gif picture by taratalnenetz

Join us                              Join us

Just click join us under the group pic!

judybant
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:39 AM

It depends on the school district, and what percentage of kids ride the bus... if the ACTUAL temperature is -10 or lower, and the windchills will be below -40, they do call off school here in central WI... because the number of kids riding the bus is nearly 50%, which means that nearly 50% of the students would have to wait outside at a bus stop, and at least half of the rest are walkers, and the fear is that some parents are dumb enough to NOT drive their children, and still make them walk, despite the fact that they are in very real danger of having frostbitten facial parts by the time they get there...

mom22tumblebugs
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Our schools have closed for really, really cold weather. It is a risk to those kids that have to walk to school, or if buses cannot start and pick up on time.

beccaann80
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:41 AM

I live in WV and they have closed school here for the past 3 days due to the cold and a little snow.

fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Here in my area of PA they will not usually close for extreme cold but will delay the start of day by 2hrs if it is cold far beyond the average winter cold. I really think it all depends on your area and how your climate is. If it's somewhere where the people are used to and prepared for extreme cold in the winter it is usually business as usual.

Were you married in 2001? If so, come join us at 2001 Anniversaries.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/17057/

keri_d
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:43 AM

I live in WI and for them to close school to cold it has to be extremely cold, something like -25! I don't remember school ever closing due to cold temps, but my kids school did one time last year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN