Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

6 month old still cant keep formula down? Help!

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM
  • 14 Replies
I know I need to talk to my pedi about this, but shes usually not much help so I figured I would ask here first. DS has had trouble keeping formula down since birth (dont ask why I didnt breastfeed, I just didnt). We have him on Good Start gentlease. I tried other milk based with no luck. I tried soy once, and it helped a little, but he was still puking. When I asked my pedi 4 months ago (at his 2 month appt) she said the formula is just hard on their bellies and thats why... but 6 months later?! Would switching to soy at this point be worth it?! I have tried putting rice in his bottle, it didnt help. He eats rice cereal for lunch and dinner... and that usually comes up along with most of his 6oz bottle. He is still gaining weight... but not as much as he should be. Im starting to get worried because he can soak an outfit within an hour... and has gone through 2 outfits and a bib already today.

by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JADIEBUG
by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:46 PM

First find a new Pedi if this one is not much help.

Second it sounds like Acid Reflux.

pageantgirl3
by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM

As long as he is gaining weight, your fine. Mine is 8 months and stopped puking about a month ago.

Heather : Click here to read my weight loss story! Click the picture if you married/got engaged to your hubby within a year!

JADIEBUG
by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:49 PM

This is not true. If it is Acid Reflux it can cause damage to the esophagus.

Quoting pageantgirl3:

As long as he is gaining weight, your fine. Mine is 8 months and stopped puking about a month ago.

imandia4

Yeah a new pedi should be better for you. The pedi should care about that and it sounds like acid reflux.Have you tried a little water here and there? Or maybe he is simply eating too much. I know I sometimes over fed my kids because I thought they weren't getting enough but if they atart throwing up I give them less and it solved the problem. And sometimes when they spit up it looks more than it really is. But your baby doesn't sound dehydrated. It can be a mixture of eating too much and reflux.

hatchetman
AlyssaRob1416

I agree with the PP- it sounds like Acid Reflux. Most outgrow it by 1 yr old and there isn't much you can do about it. As long as he is growing, the peds won't be concerned. He can take meds, but that just alleviates symptoms. It doesn't stop the reflux.

teacup714
by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:50 PM

i had the same problem with DS... at 3 months old, he weighed only 2 oz more than he did at birth.... i switched him to Enfamil AR formula... it worked great... i also gave him rice cereal at 6 weeks and that helped too... are you giving rice now? if not, that will help a lot... the formula is kinda pricy....

Athenas_mom
by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Find a new Pedi then have them check for pyloric stenosis. My DS wasn't keeping anything down but still gaining weight and I took him in and they did an upper GI on him and it came back pyloric stenosis. Look it up on google or web MD.

I'm a baby wearing, co sleeping, organic buying, ERF, had to formula feed cause I never created milk hippie momma of a wonderful energetic 4yr old girl, Athena, a rollie pollie 8 month old boy, Noah, and I'm married to a jazz musican that rocks my world and just happens to be the best dad and stepdad ever, Trevor. I won't tell you how to rasie your kids if you don't tell me how to raise mine.

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Quoting pageantgirl3:

Really? He puked all the time for 8 months straight and then just stopped?! Im just wondering because DD was on soy and never had this problem and I know as long as DS is gaining and "developing" on track he should be fine... but how can he puke so much and still be okay? And oddly, he make TONS of diapers... which is another sign he is fine... still...

Alieda
by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM

The other two soy base formula each had a different sugar contact try the other one it may help. I went though this will Jeff  started on mom's milk but I did not make enough. He went to regular formula (milk base he shot it across the room. He then went to Besoybe it still down around 7 months and then it come up . Use the other soy beans base formula it stay down until 11 months at which time I took him off the bottle and all milk . HE was able to slow add milk and milk products back in after that.

prego7386
by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM

look into similac. my sons doc said he wasnt constipated because he poop wasnt in balls but he was damn sure pushing to try to get it out so i switched to similac for fussiness and gas. they have a Similac for spit up also. its called similac sensitive RS.

Helps Reduce Spit-up

If your baby frequently spits up, you can trust Similac Sensitive R.S. to provide the nutrition and help he needs.

Mixing Tips for Similac Sensitive R.S.

Similac Sensitive R.S. formula contains rice starch. Compared to other Abbott Nutrition powder formulas, Similac Sensitive R.S. powder mixes a little more slowly with water. This is true of any formula that contains rice starch.

Rice starch is what makes Similac Sensitive R.S. look more "grainy" than other Similac formulas. This is not a product defect. The rice starch grains are very small, and should not cause any issue with feeding through a nipple.

Try these tips to help prevent clogged nipples:

• Mix the powder and water, and then wait two minutes.

• Gently swirl, or agitate,* the formula in the bottle before feeding.

• Use a nipple with a larger hole. This will allow for faster formula flow.

• For easy preparation, try Similac Sensitive R.S. Ready To Feed. Just twist off the cap — no mixing required — and the formula is ready for your baby.

*Avoid vigorous shaking right before feeding — it can cause air bubbles that can lead to gas in your baby.

The Facts About Similac Sensitive R.S.:

• Easy to digest

• Milk-based

• Added rice starch

• Clinically shown to reduce the frequency of spit-up by 54%*

• And it's kosher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN