Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cough Drops and a 4 year old!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:10 PM
  • 8 Replies

There is no age chart on my cough drops but my dd has a BAD cough and she is on meds but can she has regualr cough drops they are just the new halls refreash ones....sorry i know a dum question but I was just wondering!!!

by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Honeybun09
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I think under your supervision having a cough drop would be okay (that way if she started choking on it you were right there). I'm not 100% sure though so I would look online LOL.

mama2brooklyn
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Quoting Honeybun09:

I think under your supervision having a cough drop would be okay (that way if she started choking on it you were right there). I'm not 100% sure though so I would look online LOL.

I mean they have the lollipop ones but those lil things are expensive...but thanks for the advice lol imma look online...

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/mama2brooklyn
KatelynsMommy
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I believe that cough drops have cough med in them.. so on top of her current med, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I have some cough drops here that say adult use only, and only take 2 per every 2-4 hours as needed. A spoon of honey and lemon or some warm herb tea with honey should do the trick if you don't use the drops!

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I have given my 4yo a cough drop. I wouldn't give him  more then 1 every couple hours....but to be honest, it didn't do anything anyway.

De_Chick
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM

What kind of meds is she on? Maybe just buy her some regular lollipops to suck on.

If you agree come join http://www.cafemom.com/group/108556

n03z07l08
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Cough drops are fine. The amount of medicine in them is so little that it won't hurt at all. I just asked my pedi about thisd for my 18 month old and that was what she told me. Just be careful of the choking risk.

SamiJ18
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Quoting KatelynsMommy:

I believe that cough drops have cough med in them.. so on top of her current med, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I have some cough drops here that say adult use only, and only take 2 per every 2-4 hours as needed. A spoon of honey and lemon or some warm herb tea with honey should do the trick if you don't use the drops!

That really does work.  Lemon water works too. 

That's not a dumb question.  I'm sure there isn't any hurt if she is okay at eating hard candies like jolly ranchers or lifesavers.  I would watch her but if the cough drop doesn't work you may want to try the tea with honey.

imabratt
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I came across this post and I know it’s outdated but I have to add a comment.  I am reading how a friend of mine from highschool has a 6 year old little girl that choked on a cough drop and is in a coma.  Her heart stopped after aspirating vomit into her lungs.  You are absolutely insane to give cough drops to young children.  I am watching this unfold for a 6 year old fighting for her life and you are handing hard candies more less to your children?   I read one post that says it’s ok as long as you are there to supervise in case something happens?  Are you a certified professional in Heimlich maneuver?   They were there and it still happened.  Please read this website.  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35511567/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)