Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Baby powder for girls?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM
  • 47 Replies

I've always heard that you shouldn't ever put baby powder on a baby girl because it could cause yeast infections...is that true?

My daughter gets terrible, HORRIBLE rashes when she poops and pees. I've tried everything...Nystatin (a prescription cream or powder, but her pedi gave her the cream kind), buttpaste (made the rashes WORSE), desitine, vasaline, etc. I've tried every diaper on the market (and have used cloth a few times, didn't help when I thought it would), I change her constantly so she's not sitting in her pee/poop....I put baby powder on her as a last resort last night and this morning the rash looks TONS better. I'm guessing she just has REALLY sensitive skin (my husband's scotch-irish and has really sensitive skin as well... but my son doesn't have sensitive skin, he got my Colombian tan and skin lol).

I just don't want to continue to use it if it could cause her to get a yeast infection. Does anyone know?

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), co-sleeping, baby-wearing, ERFing (and will be EHing), solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 17 years), vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student (graduating summer 2010!), gay rights supporting, Silverchair loving, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

"Stop trying to explain yourself....I'm not some over-sensitive hyperhormoned twatwaffle on CM" -Robyn

by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Honeybun09
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I use powder on my DD every single day and she's never had a yeast infection and she's now almost 11 months.

amandawebb
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Never heard that, I just know if you use it on a young baby, its really bad for their lungs if they breathe it in. Do you pat her bottom completely dry before you close up the diaper?

avegajenkins
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I never used powder on girls front parts ;)

but they have this Vaseline creamy lotion its white -u can use for babies and their bottoms :) i use it 4 my DD its great

Forget-me-not
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Have you tried cornstarch? What about ECing? I personally would not use baby powder on a girl or a boy for that matter. What about homeopathy or herbal remedies, have you tried any of those yet? Burts Bees has a res-q cream that I use on everything including my son when he gets red.

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 13, Abby 8 and  Liam born June 15 2009

chairhead28
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Yeah, I make sure her butt is completely dry...but this rash...it's like all over. It kind of looks like a yeast infection, the red splotchy dots and stuff like that, but it only happens when she poops. When she pees, it typically just gets red, no bumps or anything like that...I just feel awful because it seems like no matter what I do, diaper changes for her are AWFUL. She cringes and screams and I feel bad because I know what it feels like to have a raw bottom and front, kwim? She's 16 months and she's been dealing with this since she was probably...6 months or so.  

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), co-sleeping, baby-wearing, ERFing (and will be EHing), solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 17 years), vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student (graduating summer 2010!), gay rights supporting, Silverchair loving, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

"Stop trying to explain yourself....I'm not some over-sensitive hyperhormoned twatwaffle on CM" -Robyn

omgamomie
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I use baby powder on my dd. I buy the cornstarch aloe kind that johnson and johnson makes.

Avabliss
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I second the cornstarch.  It does the same thing without the added ingredients. 

Momma to Avalon Grier.  <3
Hopeless living, loving and laughing.
We are your typical hard working, punk rock listening,
vergetarian eating, rule breaking, world loving,  
art creating, ever changing, always loving family.

kerrysmom
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM

When my dd was a baby.. She's now 14.. I was told not only by the hospital nurses but by her pediatrician to never use baby powder on her private parts..

Jeanine

teen girl

mommyziegler
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:54 AM

i used baby powder on my dd and in fact the only time she got a yeast infection is when i went a while without using it. But i don't use it on her anymore and she gets yeast infections sometimes but what her ped told me to do is take the nystatin and destyn and a &d ointment and squeeze equal amounts of all into a ziplock baggy and mix it together very well and cut a corner off the bag and apply that to my dd twice a day and it works wonders everytime and clears up her yeast infection asap.

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                               its a boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Baby boy due June 2, 2010

n03z07l08
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Did you know they make liquid baby powder now? Its liquidy like lotion but it dries into a powder. Its suppose to be sagfer because baby powder can be bad fror a babies lungs. Plus you could control where you put it easier...that way it doesnt get in the wrong areas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN