Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Have You Ever Had to Cut Ties With Members of Your Family? If Only For You Sanity...

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM
  • 46 Replies

My husband is having to do this with his parents and brother.  It is too long ot get into, but my inlaws want to make my husband feel bad about himself all of the time.  I cannot stand to see him like this.  So we are having to do this for our sanity and happiness.

by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gardenchic
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:05 AM

hmm, DO IT!!!! i am on the verge of doing it too, i cannot take much more!

NANA21
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Yes, my step brothers. My parents and me had to just cut all ties. Long story too...but they only hurt us. We have not seen or spoken in over a year.

CafeMom Tickers

rachnhaze
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:09 AM

My dad, for 2 years now, havent spoken to him or let his see my daughter, He trys to contact me via email, but i never respond, he knows better then to ask the rest of my family ofr address/ number of mine. All of my daughters bio fathers family,

pregnancy calendar
LoVeMyBaBiEs290
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:14 AM

YEP.. my mom.. she lives in a different state and she thinks that if we dont answer the phone that she should call the cops to check on us. all it took was ONE DAY....one freekin day of not answering the phone and the cops are at my door.. the woman calls at least 5 times a day lol..

ajscarver
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Yes did it about a week before Halloween cut my mom, dad and sister out couldn't take it anymore. Sure I do miss them, but it was too much on my family and me.

ProudMom9799
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:17 AM

yep - stopped talking to DH's family many times...for many reasons 

sometimes its the only way to keep ur sanity and protect ur kids from their stupidity.

never felt bad about it either...my DH was never happier than when we werent involved in the drama that circled his family

shanequa678
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM

i dont speak to my mother anymore because she is the most negative person. i cannot have that in my life so i cut her out. if your not wishing me well then you dont need to be in my life

CafeMom Tickers

MzSeXyC
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM

no i havent.

but i know people who have and its worked out for the better, for them.

good luck. 

oneonlymomma
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Yes, we have done this also with my husbands family pretty much everyone but his Dad. Family is over rated. Christmas this year was so stress free, it was awesome!!!

Kays_Mama06
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I could personally never do it unless they did something to me personally or my son or DH that would cause me to go apeshit. My family (here in FL) was all I had when my mother was killed when I was 3 so putting distance between us is something I can't even fathom...

But if it'll bring peace and happiness between you two.. You gota do what you gota do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)