Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Have You Ever Had to Cut Ties With Members of Your Family? If Only For You Sanity...

My husband is having to do this with his parents and brother.  It is too long ot get into, but my inlaws want to make my husband feel bad about himself all of the time.  I cannot stand to see him like this.  So we are having to do this for our sanity and happiness.

by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM
Replies (11-20):
Not.So.Virginal
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM

i cut ties with my sister because she's a liar and a theif. I don't want that type of person around my son. Especially when I found out for sure that she's on drugs (she used to smoke pot and i knew that, but now i think it's ecstasy)

mamaslilpunkin
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Yes,we pretty much cut the cord with dh's dad.He doesn't give a flying crap about anyone but himself.He's just a selfish,lying piece of poop!! 

dannysgirl77
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:22 AM

I think I am going to have to sooner or later. My parents were married for 30 years, and got a divorce three years ago. They constantly drag me into the middle of everything...they were trying to be friends (never a good idea) and I have NO desire to be in the middle of any of their crap. The only thing I asked of them was to be good to their grandchildren...but they are too petty to care.

So, over the last few days (and hundreds of phone calls) I have decided that I will not talk to them for a while. No matter what I say someone has to bring the other up, and who wants to have a relationship where you are not being heard?

My husband also cut all ties with his dad. It was easy for him...he is a non emotional kind of guy!!!

KatherineM
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:23 AM

yeap cut my youngest sister out of my life a little over a year ago.I don't agree with the way she lives her life.She lives in a very toxic environment that isn't good for my family

Wendy_June
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I wish I could, my MIL gossips about my DH and all of her other children almost every time I see her/ talk to her on the phone. (like any normal gossip she calls me to complain) My DH and I had even gotten into several big arguments because she tells me he's lying to me and vice versa. She even told him once that I was getting a divorce! Unfortunatly he works for his parents and we live next door. I avoid her like the plage and if my DH gets a different job she probably won't hardly ever see him either.

CeeGee81
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Yes..not permanently but for a certain amount of time, Ive taken a "break" from my family.  In fact I'm on a break right now.  Like yours, mine is a long story and won't get into it.

AzaleaCheerMom
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Been there, done that. I gave a second chance ~ didn't work out but the third may be the charm. Things went well that time around. This has been over a course of about 3-4 years too. 

Schleetle
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Yes.... two of my aunts because they are addicted to drugs. One I was close with, but her addiction has made her make too many bad choices. I hope she gets help someday when she is ready. We've tried to force her, but that doesn't work when the person doesn't want the help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

staceyjoy

Yes my husband cut ties with the majority of his biological family for much the same reason. It has been much harder for me than him because I grew up in such a close knit family it was really hard for me to see how horrible they were to him and I just couldn't understand how people could be that way. He is so much happier now and more fullfilled. His parents were very emotionally abusive towards him it was so sad I don't understand how people can treat their children that way.

Prayers and hugs for you and your hubby. It will be hard but sometimes it's for the best.

De_Chick

Everyone in hubs family has had to break ties with his brothers family. I think its kind of sad but I can't say I blame them.

If you agree come join http://www.cafemom.com/group/108556

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN