Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Have You Ever Had to Cut Ties With Members of Your Family? If Only For You Sanity...

My husband is having to do this with his parents and brother.  It is too long ot get into, but my inlaws want to make my husband feel bad about himself all of the time.  I cannot stand to see him like this.  So we are having to do this for our sanity and happiness.

by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM
Replies (31-40):
MommytoKenzie08
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I have stopped socializing with my cousin b/c her parenting was driving me crazy. Like leaving her child with her mom 24/7 so she can go out with different men and etc. Ugh.  

BrandonsMom1000
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Quoting isra1986:

I am in the process of it right now! It isn't easy, especially when you have been raised like I was. That you NEED them, no matter how they treat you, you NEED your family! Not true!
My breaking point after 23 years of them treating me like crap, my child got hurt. I won't let her be around these people and have her selfesteem ruined like mine is!
DH and I are moving to another state and changing our numbers!

How is your daughter?  Isn't she the one that got her finger broken?

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:50 AM

my mother. because she's crazy. actually we (my sister and i) have done it more for our safety because she's about to marry, or has married a member of the NSM who's being watched by the FBI,  and on her CM journal actually wrote a thinly veiled threat about him "getting her girls" because we don't talk to her. she's a drug addict, alcoholic, was very abusive. we've also had to let the whole family know because he's a very dangerous man, so no one can contact her.

CafeMom Tickers

If you agree come join http://www.cafemom.com/group/108556

redheadsmommie
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:51 AM

7 brothers and sisters and mom and dad...long story..it has been a year1/2 since I talkedto/seen them 

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:52 AM

i did it just last july (of 09) withmy parents and 2 sisters. 

and omg i honestly feel like i can be myself and like a ton of weight have been lifted off of my sholders

i say if you both agree that it needs to be done then do it if they are more toxic then good then get thej outa your lives -- ya don't need them

www.belladiapercreations.webs.com <~~ check out my website
wickedfiress
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Just because someone is related to you by blood or marriage does not mean you are obligated to have contact with them in any way.

Why should you have to speak to someone who treats you like crap?

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

oceanus407
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Yep. I have and so has my hubby. We choose not to talk to people who make us miserable.  

Ha! Made you look!

nessy1980
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM

hell yes to my aunt and her asshole husband. I had my ds very young and she tried to get me to put ds up for adoption and that was the begining of it. After a few years of getting bashed I stopped the relationship. My moms side cut ties from me because when I got pregnant with my oldest I went on welfare for insurance. 

oceanus407
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Quoting isra1986:

I am in the process of it right now! It isn't easy, especially when you have been raised like I was. That you NEED them, no matter how they treat you, you NEED your family! Not true!
My breaking point after 23 years of them treating me like crap, my child got hurt. I won't let her be around these people and have her selfesteem ruined like mine is!
DH and I are moving to another state and changing our numbers!

How is she doing?

Ha! Made you look!

gabe11-14
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Yes I have no contact with my younger brother and minimal contact with my mother. I think sometimes it's needed for everyone involved, and might actually improve the relationship in the long run.

*There are only so many "Good Guys" in this world, I got lucky and was blessed with 2 of the best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN