Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone been to OC, New Jersey or Cape May?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 12:40 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hi!  Due to my DH's job, we are not able to vacation in the summer, but we would like to go somewhere relaxing, like the beach in October.  We were thinking about going to Ocean City or Cape May, New Jersey, but were unsure if that would be an ok time to go.   I'm afraid of everything being closed due to the fact that it's off season.  Anyone from this area or vacation there in the off season?
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Tayesmommy
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 12:43 PM
Been to cape may a few times. It is really quiet in the off season and a lot of things are closed. It is a beautiful little town though and still fun to visit.
Lorann24
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 12:46 PM
I go to Ocean City New Jersey every may. Its coming up very soon and I cant wait to go! There is quite a few things closed at this time of year but also quite a few open. Believe it or not even in the beginning of may there are quite a few people on the beach. Its beautiful.
Lori
tracy227
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 12:47 PM
I LOVE Cape May -- but I've never been there in the off season.
3lilmen
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 12:49 PM
Hi,
My in-laws have a house in OC, so we are there a lot.  I love the shore...even off season.  A lot is closed, but it's quiet, so peaceful and relaxing!  Have a great time!
lifeofchaois
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 12:56 PM
If you want a family friendly, not too crowded beach with wonderful facilities than I suggest the Island Beach State Park, located a little  south of Bay Head and Point Pleasant, NJ

We go there every year around the beginning September, which is considered the off season (after labor day).  The beaches are wonderful and big.  You can still take a picnic lunch with you and the bathing facilities are incredibly nice.  There is a parking fee of $10.00 since it is a state park but it is well worth it. 

Point Pleasant is like 10 miles north with the board walk and restaurants.  And Bay Head is a quaint little town with shops and stuff.

I am not sure what is open in October but maybe you could go a month earlier.  Where are you located?
dylandrachmom
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 1:24 PM
My husband's grandparents live in OCNJ year round. October is off season so a lot is closed, but its still a nice town...very relaxing.
misalis
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 2:41 PM
We live in Pittsburgh, so this will be a week long vacation.  And we can't change the dates of his vacation.  It's set in stone unfortunately.  He works for a prison, and there is no wiggle room.  We were thinking of going to the Boston area, but my daughter will only be 22 months old at that time and we thought that would be too far to drive - approx 12 hours.  The Jersey shore is only about 5-6 hours away and we could still go to Philly for a day.  Possibly Atlantic City for an evening.  My mom's making the trip too and is willing to swap off babysitting with us!!  But we wanted relaxing, but still with something to do.  I just don't want to go somewhere and find every restaurant and store closed for the season.
Justbeachy33
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 2:46 PM
I lived near Cape May my whole life, until i recently moved.  I personally enjoyed the fall (off-season) there because it felt like my home town was a little less chaotic.  There will be some things closed down, but it is a vacation spot with many bed and breakfasts so there will defiintely  be stuff to do.  There are a lot of little towns and what not around.  Its very pretty down there in the fall. you will love it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)