Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you feel about these people?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM
  • 29 Replies

Random thought for today...

How do you feel about people who habitually use "big" words in everyday conversation?

I mean, words that the average person does not use in regular conversation...like instead of saying "she acts like..." they might say "she emulates..."

Does it annoy you?  Do you find it inspiring?  Something else?

by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaM27
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM

yeah i dont like that lol

Do you want to vent? Join my group!! WTF

KT9105

I find it refreshing.  I think too often speech and writings are dumbed down.

GenevieveD

I don't mind it as long as it's part of their normal vocab. I hate it when people miss use words though.....

Live in the sunshine, swim in the sea, drink the wild air -- Emerson

Laura4807
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I really could care less. lol

Personally, I think its funny to use "big words" in certain situations.

Little + + http://www.lindseyleino.com/images/lindsey-tomboy-sm.jpg =
Laura4807

Septpreggo
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM

emulating and shows dont mean the same thing

two4one
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I'm guilty of using big words. Sorry. My parents both have extremely large vocabularies, so I grew up hearing them. I use them with my daughters as well. The other day I told my husband, "Peyton perseverates on things" and he was like, "Huh?".  LOL.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

LollipopDream
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I have severe ADHD and learning disabilities and it doesn't take much to set me off. This is one thing that gets me going when I talk to someone. I have yelled at DH many times for doing this. 

supermom3806
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM

that bugs the shit out of me. I usually have to look it up. I'm one that's not good with words I suck at spelling and grammar. I tell everyone to speak dumb to me lol it gets them laughing.

two4one
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:30 PM

LOL, I noticed that as well. Emulates means to copy. A big word that means the same as show would be demonstrates or exhibits. Not knocking you though OP, I need to brush up on my vocab too. Reader's digest word power has been kicking my ass lately.

Quoting Septpreggo:

emulating and shows dont mean the same thing

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

judybant
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Personally, I emulate individuals who use something more than "regular" language in speech. There's nothing wrong with it. Unless you're a complete dipshit, and use the "big words" incorrectly. THEN it bugs me.

What REALLY bugs me is in typing posts, and replies, the number of individuals who use "internet slang" and "text-ese"... I'm sorry, but if you're over 16 years old, just type "You are" instead of "ur" you just sound like an immature nincompoop, who's trying to remain "hip". And after they've spewed their "typonese" on you, then they wonder why no one takes them seriously. I mean srsly! BLECH!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)