Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does your child talk in 3rd Person ?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:04 PM
  • 17 Replies

My 2 yr old , Giovanni , always talks in 3rd person.

When referring to himself in a sentence...instead of saying *I* he says *Gi Gi.*  ( Gi Gi is what we call him as a nickname)

It's so cute sometimes.

by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I think most kids do at this age.  My son Caleb calls himself "Cabba" because he can't pronounce Caleb yet.

CafeMom Tickerssnowgirlholding balloons

mamma2mygirls
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:06 PM

LOL! My DD does that. She will be 3 in March and she always refers to herself as Momo (her nickname).

KT9105
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:07 PM

At 2 I could see it being cute.

My older brother used to do it all the time, way older than 2 (like middle/high school).  Hell, he still does it sometimes now, it's annoying at crap.

usafwife314
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:07 PM

My youngest will be 3 next month and she does it all the time.  She just learned how to say her name (well...almost).  She calls herself Wivi (her name is Olivia, we call her Livi).

n03z07l08
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:08 PM

My son will be 3 in march,nope he doesnt do that he says "I"

but while trying to teach him his ABC's..everytime we come to the letter "u" he says "me" lol so its like  Q ,R, S, T, ME, V, W ,X ,Y and Z lol

yayay15
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:10 PM

My son did this until he was about 3 1/2.  It's normal but apparently after a certain age it's an issue since he preschool teachers felt it was necessary to have a meeting about it.  Really ridiculous because he also referred to himself in the first person most of the time... He quit doing it all on his own.  Anyway...it was kinda funny. 

imechard
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Neither of my kids do that, they are 2 and just 4, UNLESS they are pretending to be someone else. But they say me instead of 'I'

goldenglow1984
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM

No my kids don't. But I've noticed that Elmo on Sesame Street does.

Cassandra, wife to David, mom to Brianna, Jordan, Adrianna, Alexea, Jonny and EDD 9-5-2010.

Laura4807
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:30 PM

lol, she sure does.

Lorelai always refer to herself as "lai lai" or "lowalie"

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne on Jan. 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I think that is normal for kids to do.  Our dd does that and she is 2 1/2 yrs old.  I think it is because you say their name so they say their name.  She will say "where's Brenna" when she is hiding.  She will also say "mama carry you" when she wants to be carried.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN