Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you keep the dog smell out of your house!?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM
  • 17 Replies

I recently adopted some dogs! And the smell isn't really in my house YET! But most people I know with dogs, their houses smell like dog!

So..

any tips?!

by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usafwife314
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I would like to know too.  We just got a puppy.  i don't *think* it smells like dog, but ya never know.

sweetnsassymami
by Diabla on Jan. 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM

my sis has a lab and her house never smells like dog. then again she's a crazy about cleaning....I would think if you bathed your dogs frequently and kept them inside you wouldn't have that problem. what kind of dogs did you get?

Peanutx3
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Keep it outside.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM

We always have big dogs and we never have "dog" smell.  We vacuum twice a day and keep her off of furniture and carpeted areas and we have no problem.

KT9105
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM

We've had dogs for 8 years.  Our house only smells like dog after they get out of the bath, then it smells like wetdog for a while. 

Keep your house and dog clean it won't smell like dog.  I vacuum almost everyday, clean some everyday, Febreeze the furniture and use carpet powder forumlated to loosen fur from carpet, which also makes it smell nice.

Skyecaitlin88
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Keeping them off carpet areas isnt an option, we havce carpet in almost all of our house except kitchen and bathrooms!

We adopted a Beagle, and 2 boston terriers!

Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Um, the best way to keep dog smell out of your house is to keep dogs out of your house :-)

Sorry, I hate dogs, and this is one reason why.

my sister has a chocolate lab, but she wants to get rid of it so bad, but her hubby wants to keep it. she has a 1 year old, and is pregnant and she is a CLEAN FREAK......so she cleans the whole house top to bottom every single day, and gives the dog a bath every time it comes inside, so her house doesn't stink.

Good luck with that.

Fit_Momma_Of_2
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 8:04 PM

We have a Bichon puppy & our house doesnt smell. I bathe her every 2 weeks, and just perfume her every other day :) Just keep her clean.

Sassy762
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2010 at 8:04 PM

We had 3 small dogs but now we are down to 2. My house has never smelled like "dog"....thank goodness.  I give the dogs a bath every week and twice if they get dirty/muddy while doing their business. They go outside every 2 to 4 hours around the clock.  I also sweep & mop the entire house twice day (morning & night). My dogs aren't allowed on the furniture and they know it. They both have dog beds to sleep in or lounge around on. I am constantly spraying "Frebreze"...just in case, lol Thank goodness they don't shed, that would drive me crazy and they wouldn't be here, lol

Sassy"Nanna"762    blowing kisses       family in the van

KT9105
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM

No offense to Jennifer, but taking advice on dogs from someone who hates them is like taking parenting advice from someone who hates kids.

Quoting Jennifer63080:

Um, the best way to keep dog smell out of your house is to keep dogs out of your house :-)

Sorry, I hate dogs, and this is one reason why.

my sister has a chocolate lab, but she wants to get rid of it so bad, but her hubby wants to keep it. she has a 1 year old, and is pregnant and she is a CLEAN FREAK......so she cleans the whole house top to bottom every single day, and gives the dog a bath every time it comes inside, so her house doesn't stink.

Good luck with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)