Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can you live in an RV?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM
  • 33 Replies

The kind you drive, or the kind you pull, whichever.

Would cps see it as unfit? maybe because it's not really a permanent address?

Would it be cheaper to camp than to rent?

Does it sound reasonable to you? what would you say/think if someone said that they lived in a motorhome?

I found a pretty nice rv that we can afford to buy outright in a few months when our lease is up. And I'm seriously considering camping in it for the entire summer. 

Dh may be getting a job where he is gone 4 days a week, would you feel safe staying in one alone?  I have a 5 year old dd.

by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mstnbecki
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes you can and no its not CPS reportable

as long as you have shelter heat and a wat to get water cps dont care.

I know FAMILIES who live in a rv all yr long and theres some moms here that do.

wanted to add if SO and I ever broke up ID move into my moms RV with my son and live. its cheaper then renting a place.

susie.stacy
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM

i would think u could if u wanted! as long as it has a bathroom n running water i wouldnt think cps could do much. 

You can change the world with one random act of kindness at a time.

mom22tumblebugs
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Besides the cost of the RV, you also have to pay for the place you park it.... gotta have electrical hookup and a place to dump raw sewage. Factor that cost into it.

mstnbecki
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:43 PM

when my house burned down in 93 it took us 2 yrs to find a place to put on our land we could afford.in the mean time we were staying with my mom a few mths and I couldn't take it any longer and are trailor was all set up just didnt have electric or water yet.I called CPS to see if we legally could live there without this stuff and they said yes as long as we had heat(it was Nov) and a way to get water even if it was in a jug. we did not HAVE to have electric(if that was the case electric comp could not shut you off for non payment). 

mom2aspclboy
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:43 PM

A couple of summers ago we ran into a family in an RV park that did live out of their 5th-wheel year 'round. The dad's job required them to travel often and they wanted to all stay together, so they bought a really nice set of trucks & a huge 5th-wheel camper that had two bedrooms (one for the parents & one for the daughter), one and a half baths, a washer/dryer unit, a living room space and a large kitchen with separate refrigerator & freezers. Mom homeschooled the daughter and they would just move around the country as needed, staying in different RV parks with full hook-ups. They even had two dogs with them.

I think that as long as the child has a separate, real bedroom (not a pull-out) and there are utilities available, child services won't care what you live in. And since this is going to be just for the summer, I don't think they would even get involved b/c lots of people spend their summers camping. I also think your DD would love it.

hatinnd
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM
If you'll be there alone at times, I'd look for a mobile home park that has rv's. I wouldn't feel comfortable having strangers as neighbors all the time. (although there's no guarantee anywhere, I'd just feel safer in a more stable community)

I was born too late....    I woulda been a damn good hippie!

All4you

I wouldn't think CPS would have much to say about it as long as it was clean etc. Could I personally live in one? No way. And I doubt it would be cheaper that renting a place once you figure in gas, what you pay to camp, electrical hook ups, insurance on it etc. Not to mention they are VERY tight spaces. No way could I live in that close of quarters.

KT9105

Yes you can.  A friend of my husband is living in his - him and his wife are going thru a divorce so he's living in his RV.  He doesn't have kids though so I'm not sure how CPS would look at it.

Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Quoting mstnbecki:

Yes you can and no its not CPS reportable

as long as you have shelter heat and a wat to get water cps dont care.

I know FAMILIES who live in a rv all yr long and theres some moms here that do.

wanted to add if SO and I ever broke up ID move into my moms RV with my son and live. its cheaper then renting a place.

I would think it would be cheaper, depending on where you parked it. my concern would be staying there alone with a small child for days at a time, especially if it was parked in a wooded area, such as a state park.

Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Quoting hatinnd:

If you'll be there alone at times, I'd look for a mobile home park that has rv's. I wouldn't feel comfortable having strangers as neighbors all the time. (although there's no guarantee anywhere, I'd just feel safer in a more stable community)

I'm not sure if there is one of those in my area, that would be nice though

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)