Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extremists hurt their own cause ...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:03 AM
  • 2 Replies

... and intelligent thoughtful well thought out arguments cause others to listen.

This is a vent and a thank you. 

It drives me crazy when people who are so passionate about their own beliefs go so far overboard in their words and actions that they hurt their cause.  I can understand and respect their passion but can't understand how they can not see that their actions aren't helping anything or anyone.

But, women (or men I suppose, I am more thinking of cafemom) who can thoughtfully and without judgement, namecalling or rudeness present their own side can change the world.  I know that thanks to women who have been willing to share their experiences and their ideas without judgement have changed mine and my children's lives for the better

For example:  I am currently an extended harnessing, extended rear facing mom.  Thanks to some women on here who are passionate but not judgemental about carseat safety, I chose to do more extensive research and made a choice to change our car habits for the better.

I am currently full term nursing my just turned two year old mom.  I am a former formula only, I think that breastfeeding stuff is so nasty, eew why would you do that kinda mom.  But because of women on this site who were willing to talk with me and ask me questions and try to understand what issues I had that I felt that way, I am now doing the absolute best thing possible for my daughter.

And it works even for things that you may not change a person's beliefs but you may be able to get them to see things from a different perspective.  I am pro-life 100%.  No matter how many arguments there have been on here has not gotten me to change my stance .... However, in the past I thought it was wrong and that any woman who had an abortion must have been a horrible person.  I can now see that until I have walked in someone's shoes I have no idea what could have caused them to have to make such a decision.  I still think it was the wrong decision, and I still wish it were illegal, but I no longer think of them as terrible people just people who have made what I consider a bad decision.  I also have so much sympathy for these women instead of hate as I did before.

Thanks to women who have presented their side with humor, compassion, love, and understanding, I have learned so much from this site.  I have opened my eyes to so many new ideas that I just didn't understand before

For every carseat/breastfeeding militant and every abortion clinic bomber there are just as many, if not more, people who feel just as passionately about the same things but go about trying to change the world with intelligence.

This is my thank you to every mom here who has helped me grow as a mother.

If any of you have learned something from a wonderful mom, what was it, what made you willing to change, and how has it changed your life for the better?

I had posted this a while ago, but with the dramalicious hot button posts going on today I thought it needed a reposting :)

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
amayabrianna
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:05 AM

I have changed my views on EH. Due solely to one mama and aided by another!! This one mother (JRP0606) presented the evidence and backed it up with facts and I could not argue that with her since she did so without all the hatred and bashing so many other use!! 

CopyofFinalcarseatblinkie.gif image by Mommabunchth2and30.gif image by Mommabunchthextended-rear-facing.gif image by MommabunchA fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.       Proverbs 18:2

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM

YAY!  And can I just say, it's not just those women who are due a round of applause, but women who are willing to admit, Hey I did something wrong or I can do better, and they turn around and make those changes!

Quoting amayabrianna:

I have changed my views on EH. Due solely to one mama and aided by another!! This one mother (JRP0606) presented the evidence and backed it up with facts and I could not argue that with her since she did so without all the hatred and bashing so many other use!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)