Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MLK and my preschooler...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM
  • 37 Replies

I noticed that my son's preschool does not have any plans to discuss Martin Luther King Jr. So, i decided to talk to my son about him and why he has a special day myself.

I think I may have destroyed his innocence. I explained to him that at one time "peachy skinned people"  and "brown skinned people" used to be separated....  and that some peachy people looked down on brown people.  (that is how he describes skin color so i went with it) I explained a lot of what went on... and that even now it sometime still happens.

He asked me why peachy people are bad guys? I explained that not all peachy people are bad guys and that there are bad guys of all different colors.  Then he said something...   that was profound...  but I am not sure where he heard it or if he just thought of it....   he said That the whole world should be friends because we are just people and we all have a heart that pumps human blood around our bodies. He then started to cry.

So we discussed how the world can change with just one person...  and that by him loving all people no matter what they looked like that he is helping the world change for the better. We discussed more than skin color... we discussed people who have physical deformities whether they are by birth or an accident...  from missing limbs to burns. I showed him pictures of different people.

It seemed to have a profound effect on him... and he seems a bit distraught.....

Maybe there is a reason they don't discuss this in preschool

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatelynsMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Aww!! My daughter is 3 1/2 and she asks me questions about things like that.. and then take the answers to heart. Our poor little innocent kids really could change the world, couldn't they? I would think they would maybe just focus on having a dream or something with preschoolers.. but i think you are a good mommy for the way you explained it to your little man! If he's still feeling bad.. maybe you can take him to do something nice for people.. like visit a nursing home and hand out pictures he draws or something. Just further show him how one little person can make a lot of people smile :)

Kerfuffle
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:44 AM

bump

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:02 AM

aww poor fella.  It is good you are teaching him things but maybe he was too young for all the details. I like how you used his descriptions for the different colors in your discussion.

Kerfuffle
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

aww poor fella.  It is good you are teaching him things but maybe he was too young for all the details. I like how you used his descriptions for the different colors in your discussion.

I didn't get into the nitty gritty... just covered that people can be mean to others for no good reason...and that people were separated by skin color....  we didn't just discuss skin either... we discussed teasing...   did not mention slavery or anything (definately thought that would be a bit much) I didn't get into murders or torture or anything else either...  just basically left it at being "mean"

He is going to Kindergarten in the fall...  so he is going to run into teasing...  and kids being mean...  so we tied that in with everything else....   I don't want him to think it is ok to tease or be teased...  and I also don't want him to be overly affected by teasing if it happens to him.  I also want him to know about history also...

I think I explained it in an age appropriate manner... i just didn't realize he would take it so hard.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Quoting Kerfuffle:

Quoting frndlyfn:

I didn't get into the nitty gritty... just covered that people can be mean to others for no good reason...and that people were separated by skin color....  we didn't just discuss skin either... we discussed teasing...   did not mention slavery or anything (definately thought that would be a bit much) I didn't get into murders or torture or anything else either...  just basically left it at being "mean"

He is going to Kindergarten in the fall...  so he is going to run into teasing...  and kids being mean...  so we tied that in with everything else....   I don't want him to think it is ok to tease or be teased...  and I also don't want him to be overly affected by teasing if it happens to him.  I also want him to know about history also...

I think I explained it in an age appropriate manner... i just didn't realize he would take it so hard.

Ok , sorry i thought you may have discussed the violence.   Still a poor fella, i bet he is a sweet kid and cant imagine anyone being mean to another person.

SylviaNCali
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:22 AM

You did the best you could. And he seems like such a sweet boy. I haven't told my kids any major details about MLK because I don't think little kids need to know all the details. Probably why the kids wanted it to be left to the parents I think.

ERNAProud
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:24 AM

Maybe you could have told him that it was about uniting people of all color and not pointing any of that out. MLK was black, but he spoke out for people of ALL color to be equal.

I would have explained it to my DD something like this:

People of different colors disagree on a lot of things. But there was a man named MLK that wanted everyone to get along. What he did to bring people together was wonderful and he will always be remembered.

Remember Malcolm in the Middle?  THATS what kind of a mom *I* am! 

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:28 AM

Awwww! Sounds like he wasn't ready for this discussion, but I think that its great that you wanted to discuss it with him.

snowysakurasky
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:29 AM

umm i think personally i'd have waited till he asked about it. no rush

also wouldn't make up names like peachy... i mean if he said that to someone they might think you were racist for making up little names to talk about race ( i get that you are not racist though)

anyways just my 2 cents thanks for sharing 

Earth-Angel
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:22 AM

I explained things to my son about MLK.  He's 11 and didn't understand and I  said that in a reply on a post last year during MLK day, well a lady on here bit my head off that I didn't have all my facts or something straight,  I didn't say anything bad either. Well, so I won't get my head bit off again during MLK day by the Black Americans on here, I will just keep my mouth shut. I said to say the color, not bc I'm racist or anything, bc I am not. That was just the lady that bit my head off, so I assumed White ppl aren't aloud to say anything, if it's not related to White ppl. jmo! No need to bash me, quote me or anything. I won't be back to this post. I wasn't trying to start drama and it's good what you teach your son, I teach my kids about being good and doing good, they make me proud. I just voiced my opinion!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)