Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Religious Question..Non Christians....

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:24 AM
  • 11 Replies

For Non Christians...Do you/have you ever read the Bible??...I have read...most...of it....I own 2.....Even though I am Wicca I believe the Bible is an important work of literature that has changed and shaped parts of the world and history and believe it important to know what it says....Even though I do not believe it...

Any one else feel like this???

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamiJ18
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I have read the bible.  I also plan on reading the books of many other religions as well instead of just reading about the religion itself.  I just need to be able to afford it because those books can get kind of pricey :(

AudlyLuvly
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:26 AM

I have read the bible.  I don't believe in any of it, but i've read it.  Mainly because of the art world, and the signifigance it has had in art history.

SaToJeKaBe
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Yes.  Agnostic here, and I have been studying religion and the bible for a few years now.  I am currently following a bible-in-a-year reading schedule, and in a couple weeks I will have read all the way through the Old Testament.  I should be done with the entire bible by April.  It's fascinating.  :) 

Some people just can't slice the slice...

ballerina18
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:27 AM

I am an atheist, but I have read/ studied the entire bible numerous times. In fact, I think I have read more Christian/ Religion books than I have atheist books. I think it is important to be informed on both side of the debate. Unfortunately, I haven't met very many Christians who are willing to read atheist books.

I am an educated, breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co-sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling, liberal, pro-choice, atheist mama to a beautiful two year old girl! My S.O. is my equal and my best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT not a privilege!

tha-hawt-mommie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:27 AM

my son got one as a gift ... it has his name on the cover , really cute ... and no i never even opened it lol

KT9105
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:29 AM

I have read the Bible and I agree it's a great literary work. 

On a semi-related note - the reason I feel it's an important literary work is the difference in language used in the Bible versus modern English.  It's like reading Shakespeare, makes you think.  Unfortunately I don't see this sticking around.  I saw at Barned & Noble there's a section of Shakespeare books written in plain English.  I serisouly wanted to cry, reading Shakespeare is something everyone should be subjected to.  Not in plain English, in Shakespearean English, it ruins it to be in plain English imo.

im23vaughn
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:10 AM

I have read the Bible. I think it is a great book. Teaches a lot of principles. I don't believe the whole book. But before I speak on something I like to know about it.

babie113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:12 AM

same here

Quoting im23vaughn:

I have read the Bible. I think it is a great book. Teaches a lot of principles. I don't believe the whole book. But before I speak on something I like to know about it.

hisbabybat
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Our views there sound quite similar :)

I'm Wiccan, as well (though in a very eclectic sense). I have read the bible twice (once during childhood, once later in life), the satanic bible, the qu'ran, many hindu and buddhist writings and quite a few books on paganism in general :). I have always loved studying religions and various beliefs and generally feel that pretty much all of them have something of value to offer.

The teachings of Christ in and of themselves are wonderful moral ideals for anyone- it's many of the Christians themselves that twist them up.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

BaisMom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Atheist here. I have read the bible a number of times, I was raised in a christian family.

I think it's important to know about the bible. It's constantly shoved in our faces, so I think that's it's important for me as a nonbeliever to know what I am up against.

Young and single. Call me a statistic if you'd like, it doesn't change the fact that I am a smart, strong, and confident mother. There are also a number of other things that you might not like about me: I breastfed AND formula fed. My daughter is on a delayed vax'ing schedule. I had a c-section. Organic food is nasty. I don't spank, but I do whoop ass. I let my daughter get hurt and make mistakes, I want her to learn through experience, it's the best way. I am an Atheist, my daughter has never been to church nor read the bible. I don't believe that I need to look to a "god" to have morals. I believe in reason, science, the Earth, and I believe in PEOPLE. Despite my heathen ways, I have a pure heart <3 and my daughter is healthy, smart, happy, beautiful, and loving; and she knows she's loved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)