Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I kept trying and I think I have it now, the basic crochet stitch...woot. (pix)

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:34 AM
  • 31 Replies

I've sat and watched how to videos on youtube. On crochet and knitting. My mom gave me a roll of her yarn and a hook/needle thing. Well I know how to make a chain, but I can't figure out the rest. Maybe my brain is just too tired. I want to pick this up as a hobby to pass the time. I need to find someone here in rl to show me how to make a scarf of just get me on the right track. Anyone else learn any of these crafting hobbies. How long did it take to get it right?

This is what I've been working on for the past few nights after everyoen is asleep. I was determined...yeah. :0) Not sure what it will be, but looks like it could be a little hat for a baby doll? Possibly :] ((I changed my post title, because I was annoyed and didn't think I could get it figured out)

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwensMama824
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Well my mom taught me to do a chain when I was like 5 then she showed me the basic scarf and I learned "granny squares" once I got better at it.

If you can get someone to show you... it's super easy.

Talking about crocheting. I never could knit. 

mstnbecki
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:37 AM

they have books that teach you the different patterns, that what I have. I can crotche but I can not for the life of me figure out how to knit.Ive made some really cool indian dolls and sold them.and Im left handed and everyone I know who can crotche is right handed so yea it was fun learning from them. 

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Yes, I have one book that my mom gave me, I am wanting to learn, so I can teach my 11 yr old, because she too wants to learn and she is left handed. 

EmoticonsEmoticonsmardigraslovea1.gif Mardi Gras image by ebskains

lizmarie1975
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Heck no!  I just don't have the patience to learn.

isaiahsmomma86
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM

which videos did you watch, i JUST learned how to knit and i tried watching a bunch and almost gave up, but i found one that really really helped. I cant post a link, but i googled learn to knit for beginners and its the video that says "american knitters learn how to knit lesson 1 of 5"

Heather- I am a  vaxing, non CIO, disposable diapering, formula feeding, stay at home mommy to Isaiah and happily married to the best hubby ever, Patrick.

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I watched several on youtube. Thanks for this information. I will google.

:0)

Quoting isaiahsmomma86:

which videos did you watch, i JUST learned how to knit and i tried watching a bunch and almost gave up, but i found one that really really helped. I cant post a link, but i googled learn to knit for beginners and its the video that says "american knitters learn how to knit lesson 1 of 5"

EmoticonsEmoticonsmardigraslovea1.gif Mardi Gras image by ebskains

mommyyokes
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I tried picking up crocheting when I was pregnant with ds. All the further I got was a chain. ANd he is 14 1/2 mo old now. Lol.

little.miss.mom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Stick with crocheting first. Much less difficult than knitting. First learn a single stitch then a  double stitch and gradually move up to more difficult stitches. The best beginners project is a scarf. A lot of craft stores also offer classes on different things so check with them or local craft groups to see if you can find anyone to help. Don't give up yet it is fun once you catch on I've been doing it for almost 14 years.

judybant
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I am in your same boat, sorry... I have watched hours and hours of "how to" videos... have bought 2 "teach yourself to..." books, (one knitting, one crocheting), and can NOT for the life of me do anything but make a freakn chain from here to China and back...  

lyranightshade
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

My nanna taught me when I was four. Where do you live? I can show you.. it's super easy. You're probably just over thinking it, sugar. Crochet is really, super easy. I can't knit for crap, though. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)