Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car Seat Question

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:25 AM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: Which Car Seat do you like better?

Options:

Combi Zeus

Recaro Signo

Britax Boulevard

Other brand.. please give brand!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

So I have a question, I need a new car seat soon. I was wondering what you ladies would suggest.

Right now I have a Safety First Starter infant car seat from Walmart. Long story there my inlaws were supposed to buy us one, and then less than a month before we had him they decided they couldnt find one. So we really didnt get to do as much research or we would have gotten one that lasted longer. The car seat is good for infants up to 22lbs and/or 29 inches whichever comes first. Well Draven is 27 inches already, he is only 16 lbs but it will take me a while to make a decision this time.

I have looked at The Recaro Signo. The Combi Zeus. Britax Boulevard. Which of these do you like better, or is there another one you would suggest that I can use for rear facing as long as possible, without having to buy another one in 3 months. lol.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyofblueyes
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:28 AM

The First Years True Fit!!  My son is 2 years old and almost 30 lbs.  He is like 35 in. tall and still rear facing in the true fit!  I love this seat!  I have even tried a Britax Boulevard for 2 weeks and I would still choose the true fit!   

rearfacing-2-son.png

DSC08373.jpg picture by apeharpairman-is-amazing.gif

Draysmommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:34 AM

That is a nice car seat too, I will add it to my list!! Thanks, I wish I was able to find one like that before we had him.

ballerina18
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:38 AM

My daughter is 2.5 years old, 35" tall and 28lbs. She is currently riding rear-facing in a Britax Boulevard.

My SO and I are buying another car seat for a second car that we are buying tomorrow. I've spent this whole weekend researching car seats and talking to the car seat techs on cafemom. My SO and I decided to buy a First Years True Fit Premier. I LOVE my Britax car seat! The only reason why we are not going with another Britax for our 2nd car, is because my DD is tall and the car seat techs informed me that my DD will outgrow a Britax car seat in height before a True Fit. Also, the True Fit is a little cheaper than a Britax.

Good luck in your decision. I suggest you go to the group "Car Seat Safety" here in cafemom. Hopefully some car seat techs in this group will also answer!

I am an educated, breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co-sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling, liberal, pro-choice, atheist mama to a beautiful two year old girl! My S.O. is my equal and my best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT not a privilege!

MommynMonster
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:38 AM

Same here, Ds is only 26 lbs and barely 30" so he has plenty of room Rfing

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

The First Years True Fit!!  My son is 2 years old and almost 30 lbs.  He is like 35 in. tall and still rear facing in the true fit!  I love this seat!  I have even tried a Britax Boulevard for 2 weeks and I would still choose the true fit!   

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/pinkmonkeysponge/f2e36336.gif?t=12637133844lxcspj.jpg picture by pinkmonkeyspongehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/pinkmonkeysponge/ico-resurrect11.gif?t=1263713485volde-mart.jpg picture by pinkmonkeyspongehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/pinkmonkeysponge/ico-mollytrix07.gif?t=1263713445http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/pinkmonkeysponge/SweeneyMrsLovett.jpg?t=1263713462http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/pinkmonkeysponge/arithmancy.png?t=1263713493

Draysmommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:40 AM

Thanks for your answers guys, i will also take my questions to the car seat goddess's!! hehe

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
mommyofblueyes
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:41 AM

I forgot about the premiere.  I really want to get the premiere, but since my son is almost 30 lbs. I think his next seat will be the Radian XTSL! 

Quoting ballerina18:

My daughter is 2.5 years old, 35" tall and 28lbs. She is currently riding rear-facing in a Britax Boulevard.

My SO and I are buying another car seat for a second car that we are buying tomorrow. I've spent this whole weekend researching car seats and talking to the car seat techs on cafemom. My SO and I decided to buy a First Years True Fit Premier. I LOVE my Britax car seat! The only reason why we are not going with another Britax for our 2nd car, is because my DD is tall and the car seat techs informed me that my DD will outgrow a Britax car seat in height before a True Fit. Also, the True Fit is a little cheaper than a Britax.

Good luck in your decision. I suggest you go to the group "Car Seat Safety" here in cafemom. Hopefully some car seat techs in this group will also answer!

You should tell us your daughter's stats: age, weight, height, rf or ff...ect

rearfacing-2-son.png

DSC08373.jpg picture by apeharpairman-is-amazing.gif

mama2conor
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:55 AM

I can only go by what I have and that's a Britax Marathon, tho I'm sure the Boulevard would be good too.  Heck, they probably all are (from your choices), but I'm no expert.

Merrydish78
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:06 AM

I got a convertible Graco, it cost about 80dollars and works fine, although the straps sometimes tangle but not too much, I would love one of those newer ones that are side impact tested, thats my biggest fear im gonna be hit from the side :(

mamalinzie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Do you only have one car seat in the car, or do you have to have seats next to each other?

Do you have a top tether for when it comes to forward face?

If you dont need to fit other seats next to your sons car seat, the new True Fit premier is a great seat. The premier is great because it has an anti-rebound bar for RF.  The older models of this seat had a few design flaws that made installing and adjusting it difficult. But with the premier they fixed those flaws and added the anti-rebound bar.

I also love the Sunshine Kids Radians. They can RF to 40-45lbs, have a steel alloy frame, very narrow seat, and can tether rear facing.  It has a very low base, so installations can be impossible in certain cars. It works great in my car, though, so I absolutely love this seat.

If you dont have a top tether for future forward facing use, I would definitely avoid a Britax seat. NHSTA recently did some crash testing on FF without a top tether, and measured forward head exursion.  Britax seats had very, very poor numbers without the top tether, and some of them failed. If you have a top tether hook in your car, then thats no big deal. But if you are like me and have an older car without a top tether hook, finding seats with good forward head exursion without the top tether is important. The True Fit and the Radian did very well without the top tether.

Hope that helps!

Why does my Pre-Schooler ride Rear-Facing? Because she is not a minimum. She deserves more than that. If we get into an accident, I want to know that I have done everything in my power to protect her.  Rear-Facing is endorsed by every car seat authority in the US. It is PROVEN to be safer. Why would I choose to take an unneccessary risk with the most precious gift that I have been given? PM me for more info!

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:21 AM

What is your budget?

The higher weight harness heights recommended by car seat geeks and techs include:

Evenflo Triumph Advance

Graco My Ride 65

The First Years True Fit

Britax Roundabout 50 (but it MUST be the 50, not the old 40).

SKJP Radian

The bigger Britax Seats (Marthon, Blvd).

ANy of those seats will allow for extended rear facing easily as well as extended harnessing.  Each seat has it's own best features.

Personally - if I were buying a convertible seat now, I would buy the True Fit Preimiere!

Quoting Draysmommy:

So I have a question, I need a new car seat soon. I was wondering what you ladies would suggest.

Right now I have a Safety First Starter infant car seat from Walmart. Long story there my inlaws were supposed to buy us one, and then less than a month before we had him they decided they couldnt find one. So we really didnt get to do as much research or we would have gotten one that lasted longer. The car seat is good for infants up to 22lbs and/or 29 inches whichever comes first. Well Draven is 27 inches already, he is only 16 lbs but it will take me a while to make a decision this time.

I have looked at The Recaro Signo. The Combi Zeus. Britax Boulevard. Which of these do you like better, or is there another one you would suggest that I can use for rear facing as long as possible, without having to buy another one in 3 months. lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)