Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I provided childcare during a snowstorm and now they are barking about paying me (poll)

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:51 AM
  • 74 Replies

Poll

Question: should she pay for 3 days of childcare even though she was stuck in town?

Options:

yes!

no!

other- please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 193

View Results

I watch my niece for 10.00 a day.  She arrives around 7:30am and leaves around 4pm.

We had a good snowstorm and she ended up here from Wed. morning to Sat. morning.  Her Mom was out and about Friday night, so really no reason for her to stay over night on Friday night.  And Wed. and Thurs.  we were truely snowed in.  BUT----

if my SIL hadn't messed around after work she would've made it here to get her and make it home safely.  OR if she would've gotten off of work early "I thought they were going to let me go early")  she wouldn't have gotten stuck in town. 

So, my question to you is....I still had her, and provided childcare, weather or not, should I still get paid?  I was thinking 80.00 for the WHOLE week.  10/day, plus 10/night she stayed here.  

I got "It wasn't my fault I got stuck in town"  ....well, it wasn't mine either......and as a Mom I would have made SURE my child and I were home safe, TOGETHER.

thanks Momma's!!!!

Brandi in Missouri

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamapaparazzi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:56 AM

Being as it's family, I'd let it slide.  It's not fair, but the money isn't worth the stress on the family ties.  I'd use this as a learning lesson for her, though... I'd tell her next time, she's charged.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:57 AM

absolutely you should get paid tell her flat out she went out friday she should have gotten her child! and i wouldn't watch her until you get paid-- she will be spending a ton more else where!

www.belladiapercreations.webs.com <~~ check out my website
mitch576
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:57 AM

i think you should suck it up..  and drop it.

because it's family and it isn't worth causing a rift in the family over 80 bucks.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

stpalmsgirl
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:57 AM

Yes you should get paid! It doesn't matter who's fault it was, you provided a service she needed so she should pay for it.

Mrsphillips777
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:58 AM

$10 a day is not very much money! She should pay up..you are family but she can't expect you to take care of her for free just because of that. 

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:00 AM

I do think she should pay you, but I also agree that since it's family, don't push it.  Or maybe compromise, rather than 80 how about an even 50 and call it good.

Also, when she called to tell you she couldn't pick her up, you could have brought it up then.  She  may have been more likely to hustle to pick her up sooner.

Other than that, chalk it up to experience. 

mommycooper24
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:00 AM

i would tell her she needs to pay at least the reg fee and let the other slide. i dont a gree with the mom i would have gone to hell and back to get to my kiddo

BootsandShoots
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:03 AM

Quoting mitch576:

i think you should suck it up..  and drop it.

because it's family and it isn't worth causing a rift in the family over 80 bucks.

mitch576
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:14 AM

i just want to clarify that i believe.. she owes you that money. if she were here posting about this asking what we thought, i would politely tell her that she owes you that money.. and to pay it because you don't want to cause a rift in the family! lol

she does owe you that money morally and if it were me.. i would pay you without even thinking twice.

but from your side... i would drop it if she got all pissy about it just because it is family and you are stuck with each other.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

bjarrett
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:18 AM

All valid points!  And I have thought of every one!  lol...

But, when do I stop the "family" thinking and stop getting taken advantage of? 

If it were anyone one else watching her, they would pay more.  The going rate in town is 20.00 a day, and that's not extended hours or overnights. 

Brandi in Missouri

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)