Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate it when...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:59 AM
  • 13 Replies

I hate when people ask me if my son is mixed. He has darker skin that he gets from his dad but he is not mixed. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's just the way people say "Is he mixed?"  They say it like I'd be some sort of whore or something if he was, or like it's a bad thing. I don't go up to stark white people and say "are u albino?" lol, so why do people feel the need to ask if my son is mixed, and say it like it would be a bad thing if he was?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hadcarmom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Sometimes people don't know when to keep their mouth's shut!

lizmarie1975
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Their brains stop working while their mouths keep on moving.

allurasmamma
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Yeah, funny story. When my first was born we put her picture in the paper and my dad said all of his friend were asking if i had a mixed baby and said they just couldn't believe that i had a mixed baby, like it was a germ or something. I think mixed babies are the cutest ever, i would kill for that skin, and since when is skin color a disease...??????

I was appalled!

All my love, All my life.

Madison,clayton,allura.

All my love, All my life.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I LOVE my DS skin color!  He looks like he has a permanent tan. I'm jealous, lol. The funny thing is though, is that people will not hesitate to ask if a child/baby is mixed, but do u ever see anyone going up to an ADULT and saying "are u mixed?" I don't think so, lol

ANandLPsMom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Both of my DDs are mixed. I get that reaction from people from high school that add me on facebook. "YOU have two MIXED kids??" I kind of expect it because my only real close male friend in school was this dorky white guy.. I kept school and relationships apart :D

I'm a breast & formula feeding, disposable diapering, CIO as a last optioning, babywearing & stroller pushing, selective vaxing, every baby deserves a chance, anti circing, doula loving, working out of home, crazy sock loving, dog & cat having, hair-covering, Allah fearing, hand-sewing, exotic name loving, spanking, time-outing, speak-before-you-think, cyst having, history-loving, online-schooling, you have your own opinions so let me have mine, reverted Muslim mommy of 2 gorgeous biracial girls with different fathers.

pinkfairy0206
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:06 AM

those are the ppl who don't know how to think before speaking. my middle daughter has a different look then my other 2 daughters and i have had ppl say some really stupid things! when she was about 4-5 weeks old we went out to dinner and this really old lady  and her husband where sitting in front of us. first it started out by  the man telling my husband that he should hold our baby w/2 arms not one. my husband just looked at him and said "i know how to hold my child thank you,don't need anyone telling me how to do that" then when they were just about to leave the old lady asked why my oldest daughter had blue eyes and blond hair and our new daughter had dark eyes and dark hair. then she said i guess the mail man is in for a surprise! i was disgusted that this old bat even would say this especially in front of our other child! then i said "well that would be amazing considering the mail"man"is a woman!! then my husband just told her that we were trying to have a nice dinner alone,and she walked away saying sorry and have a good night!

savannahnhi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I am Asian and my husband is White.  My daughter look like she is full Asian.  People always asked my husband if his daughter is adopted.  dumbass.

lizmarie1975
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Honestly, I dislike when people apply the term "mixed" to kids.  They're not drinks.  My own children are biracial and I quickly correct anyone who uses that term when referring to my children.

chels210
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I have neices and nephews that are mixed, and I love their skin.  My neices have the same parents, but they have a very different tone between them.   I've never asked if peoples children are mixed.  I think all children are beautiful

Sagely
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM

That's interesting, because when people ask about my daughter being mixed, I hear a sense of awe.  Maybe that's my personal bias, like of COURSE they're astounded at how beautiful she is!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)