Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Abortion... How do you feel about it? (Its different, promise) Edited*

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM
  • 16 Replies

So we all have our stance on pro choice, pro life, whatever when it comes to HUMANS. But how do you feel about it with animals? When I worked at a vet, we had quite a few people bring in dogs and cats that needed to be "spayed", but there was an extra charge because they were already pregnant. And the kicker is, there was no weekly cut off date. Which means they could go into labor tomorrow, but have them "spayed" today. Would you rather see that happen and for live pups to stay in the uterus while tossed in the trash can? Or would you rather see them at shelters being put down due to irresponsible pet owners? Im not sure how I stand on it, seeing how I have worked at both a vet and volunteered at shelters. And Im not trying to start drama (even though it has a good chance of it), I thought this was a good question!

*I kind of wanted to know your perspective on the LEGAL side of it, not just personal opinions. Do you think that there should be laws put in place, or should it be left up to the owner?

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
complextrina
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:48 AM

wow i never knew that about animals.....i really wouldnt know which side to take either......

partieswithJenn
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I am all for having your animals fixed but not at the expense of the babies, they diserve a chance at life just like any other living thing. So for me its wrong!

allyson2212
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Quoting complextrina:

wow i never knew that about animals.....i really wouldnt know which side to take either......

I didnt know either until I worked there. And in our clinic it was against "policy" to save the pups unless we got written consent from the owners. It was about 50/50 if they would let us. There were more due animals than you would imagine.

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.

supermom3806

I have such a big heart when it comes to animals. So I'd probably be with you && not sure where I stand.

amayabrianna

If the offspring is viable then I think they should have to wait. Much more people are willing to adopt a puppy as opposed to a full grown dog so it would be easier to adopt. I am kinda at the same place with people and animals on this issue. If the offspring is viable then there should be no option unless it comes down to a life or death decision.

__Pro_Choice_is_NOT______stamp_by_T.gif Pro Choice not Pro Abortion image by croatoan5376ifyoucant30.jpg pro choice image by karmaschaos3756f1d9.jpg menstruation is murder! image by karmaschaosPro-choice.gif Pro choice image by Treehugger30

thextended-rear-facing.gif image by MommabunchCopyofFinalcarseatblinkie.gif image by Mommabunch

southernjess3
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:52 AM

i think that if the owners didnt care enough to get the animal fixed before she got pregnant, well,,then they should have to deal with all the babies. Too bad for them!

CafeMom Tickers

Naegore
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Quoting partieswithJenn:

I am all for having your animals fixed but not at the expense of the babies, they diserve a chance at life just like any other living thing. So for me its wrong!

Sparkey6987
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Wow what a buzzkill reading that was.

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I think that's sad and wrong...

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

neenerashley
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I agree with you to an extent. But I also feel that since the owners dont want them in the first place, they may do something worse to them as well.

Quoting southernjess3:

i think that if the owners didnt care enough to get the animal fixed before she got pregnant, well,,then they should have to deal with all the babies. Too bad for them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)