Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kinda freaking out...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:50 AM
  • 9 Replies

so I lived in a town called barberton, Ohio for like 5 years.  and im just finding out that I never filed city taxes with them!!!  I file my taxes every year with turbo tax and always filed city taxes with the city I worke in.  I always worked in a city called akron, ohio which is like 20 minutes away.  had no idea that we were supposed to file a whole seperate form which i never received any notice on.  no form in the mail nothing.  so no i think dh and I are about to lose out on our tax return this year.  this is the first year that we have a child to actually claim and dh can claim me as a dependant because i didnt work most of the year.  we were planning on using that money to buy a decent mini van.  dh has a 12 yr old and we have 10 mos old together and expecting another little girl in may.  my little kia spectra just cant handle all that lol.  so now i dont know what im going to do.  kinda freaking out a little.  any advice mamas?

in lovemarried 11/09/07 teen girlDSD 7/31/97 baby boyDS 2/27/09

expecting girldue 5/21/10

Im a vaxing, non-circing, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, NIP no matter how uncomfortable it makes you because my son deserves the best nutrition whether we're in public or not, extended rear-facing supporter, non CIO, co-sleeping/bedding, anti-antiobiotcs for every little sniffle, house is totally lived in dirty but clean enough as to be civilized, pro-choice, thinks religion is a completely silly concept, do whatever you think is best for you and yours as I will mine,  mama who loves my family more than words can express and is always up for healthy debating and meeting new friends.  You the same?  Hit me up!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Stacey818
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Oh gosh Amanda, I have no idea! Ive never had a problem like that. Once my check was garnished only 300 for a 3000 dollar student loan i had failed to pay but they did not take the whole thing. I dont know what they do in situations like that. Im sorry mama. I wish i could be more help.

reelo
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I had no idea cities had seperate taxes, I've never had to pay anything other then federal and state.

Maybe find a tax attorney in your area, they may be willing to settle in which case you'd just have to make payments- they wouldn't take your return.

Stacey818
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Yea thats what i was thinking too, but thought i must not have known if I was paying it or not whenever Mine were payed.

Quoting reelo:

I had no idea cities had seperate taxes, I've never had to pay anything other then federal and state.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Are these property taxes?  I have never heard of filing a city return.

At any rate, call them.  See if you can work out some kind of payment plan or something.

mom_4kiddos
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:04 AM

We forgot to file a 401k early wtihdrawl... They are just garnishing my hubbies pay check.. We filed and got it reduced b/c there was no way we'd survive on what they were going to take.
So, they may not keep your taxes and have you make payment arrangments. We owed like $5,000. including fees. And he having about $50. taken out a week.

Christine0813
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I live in Euclid and we have to file city as well. Just file with them and they should be able to work out a payment plan with you.

amanda0320
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:07 AM

i still have to turn in all my pay stubs for me and dh for the last 5 years and find out what the damage is.  idk if we even could make payments.  once dh starts working again we are going to have to start paying on all these student loans and alternative loans which is going to be several hundred bucks a month.  so after loans, taxes and child support that doesnt leave much in the way of rent and utilities and groceries.  its all a mess.  we can never just seem to be able to get it together financially. 

in lovemarried 11/09/07 teen girlDSD 7/31/97 baby boyDS 2/27/09

expecting girldue 5/21/10

Im a vaxing, non-circing, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, NIP no matter how uncomfortable it makes you because my son deserves the best nutrition whether we're in public or not, extended rear-facing supporter, non CIO, co-sleeping/bedding, anti-antiobiotcs for every little sniffle, house is totally lived in dirty but clean enough as to be civilized, pro-choice, thinks religion is a completely silly concept, do whatever you think is best for you and yours as I will mine,  mama who loves my family more than words can express and is always up for healthy debating and meeting new friends.  You the same?  Hit me up!

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Yet, you are having another baby...

Quoting amanda0320:

i still have to turn in all my pay stubs for me and dh for the last 5 years and find out what the damage is.  idk if we even could make payments.  once dh starts working again we are going to have to start paying on all these student loans and alternative loans which is going to be several hundred bucks a month.  so after loans, taxes and child support that doesnt leave much in the way of rent and utilities and groceries.  its all a mess.  we can never just seem to be able to get it together financially. 

Stacey818
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:13 AM

That is no concern of yours!

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Yet, you are having another baby...

Quoting amanda0320:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)