Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scary Facebook comment.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm started to become scared about my dad. To make a long story short, he moved to Florida from Wisconsin (which is where I am) with my sister. My sister fell in love, and now lives in Tenessee. So now, my dad is alone in FL. The reason why he moved there was for a woman, and I don't think it's working out.

While I was growing up, my mom had ALS, and my dad had to take care of her for 7 years while she was paralyzed until she passed away. He tells me he still loves her. Well, there's the back story.

Recently, on Facebook, my mom's best friend posted this quotation as her status:

"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. Agatha Christie"

And then my dad commented: I'm not so sure. Soemtimes I wish I could just pull the trigger

I know that he owns a gun, he's a retired police officer.

Should I ask him about it? Am I overreacting? I didn't even notice the comment until my husband pointed it out.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I would ot go into "over protective" mode -- or at least I would not let it show but I would most DEF. call or post to say... hey pop, what's up, what's going on... and maybe even invite him to come up for a while.

ProudMom9799
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM

wouldnt hurt to touch base with dad and see how its going. u dont really have to mention the comment you saw. just check in on him and see if he is doing ok 

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I would take that very seriously if I were you. They say that people who are suicidal or at least very depressed, tend to reach out for help before they go through with it. A lot of times they will talk about killing themselves because they're reaching out for help and attention. Maybe before you go confronting him about being suicidal (that might be too upfront right now) you should just make sure to call him daily and talk to him, tell him how much you love him and need him around and things like that. If you're religious, then pray for him. If it seems to be serious enough, ask him to get some help.

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

theycallmehunny
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I would talk to him...maybe not directly bring it up but just see how he is doing in general.  Maybe if he is lonely you could suggest he move back to Wisconson.

FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM

You may be overreacting but I would ask him about it anyway.  YOu bringing it up may make him comfortable enough to talk about his feelings and make him feel better.  Good Luck and I hope your dad feels better.

kyco363
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Quoting theycallmehunny:

I would talk to him...maybe not directly bring it up but just see how he is doing in general.  Maybe if he is lonely you could suggest he move back to Wisconson.

Life is like photography, you need the negative to develop.

MandyOs
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Quoting MamiJaAyla:

I would ot go into "over protective" mode -- or at least I would not let it show but I would most DEF. call or post to say... hey pop, what's up, what's going on... and maybe even invite him to come up for a while.

That's a good idea, I'm sure he'd be happy to see my daughter. That would probably give him a reason to look forward to something.

Mommy2Ryan
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I would call him up and ask him about the comment. Tell him that you are concerned and see if he wants to talk. I wouldn't let it go, it does sound like he is depressed, probably missing your mom. I've heard my dad say similar things in the past. My mom passed at age 48 suddenly (it's been 18 years now), but I remember him saying things, but he didn't act on anything because he couldn't bear the thought of leaving me and my siblings without a parent. He misses her to this day, but he has moved on with his life and is happy now. We talk about her all the time and I think this has helped. Hope this helps some.

freedomthinks
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Ask him girl .   He will ether  say honey I was feeling down that day  , or he  might say something to indicate he is feeling  suicidal 

if you think he is  in trouble take action   I  hope he was just venting   

lyranightshade
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

First, I just want to say that I love that kitty picture. It makes me smile.

Second of all, YES, I would talk to him about it, but as non-chalantly as possible. Ask him how he's feeling, make a bigger effort to call him and tell him how loved and appreciated he it. Do everything you can to let him know that you need him in your life, that you need your daddy. I hope that he's not feeling this way because of a woman. I really, really hope not. It breaks my heart for him. I've felt how he does and it's a low, low point. Feeling too cowardly for suicide, feeling like you fail in even that aspect of living... the choosing of your own death. He may feel he has no control and is seeking to control his end as a way to have control over ANYTHING. Just do your best, monitor his responses closely, listen for false enthusiasm. If you can arrange it, visit. Don't take these comments lightly, please. He's more than likely crying out for help, trying to get out of the hole he feels like he's trapped in (whether it be an emotional hole or one caused by a failing relationship, anything).  The WORST thing you could do is ignore it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)