Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Scary Thing Happened Last Night!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

So last night, I put some food in the crock pot to cook overnight.  Somewhere around 2 am, the crock pot started smoking (the pot cracked and the food was on the burner), the three fire alarms in our house went off blaring!  My DH is a firefighter, so he when to work figuring out what is going on and told me to get the girls out of the house.

I walked into their bedroom and they are alseep.  It was SO scary....What if something bad had happened?  I never imagined that children could sleep through something like this....My girls are light sleepers, I can get up in the middle of the night, and if I creak a stair they will wake up, but the fire alarm doesn't wake them. 

So needless to say, I just ordered three of the vocal smoke detectors for our house. 

Everyone needs to take this as a warning and just check...at the end of naptime for you little ones, do a test.  See if they will wake up.   Check it with your  older kids and teens about 30 minutes before they are supposed to get up.  Just make sure your kids can hear the alarm. 

I never imagined that kids actually could sleep through these things.  Make sure your kids are safe!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Richys_Girl
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM

When I still lived with my parents, the fire alarm started going off at midnight for no reason. Everyone in the house woke up except for my son, who was about six months at the time. There was no smoke or anything, so I actaully got worried thinking it was carbon monoxide (we have detectors that alert both) and checked on my son, thinking he was the littlest and he might be the first to go if there was carbon monoxide. He was fine, thank god. And it turned out that the batteries where dying, so the detectors automatically go off to let you know.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Glad everything was okay.

When our oldest was about 6, we called the fire department because we could smell something burning.  The firemen went into all of the rooms in full gear checking things out.  He never even moved!  LOL

okeefe11
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:10 AM

When I was in high school the house 2 doors down from us burned to the ground during the night.  There were 2 fire trucks, a couple of ambulances, and several police cars that answered the call.  The entire neighborhood woke up and were all outside, my family included.  My bedroom was on the same side of the house as the house that burned, and I slept with my window open (it was early summer). The headboard of my bed was under that window.  My family was standing by that window when my dad realized he didn't see me around.  Then he heard me snoring!  He looked in the window and of course I hadn't woken up.  Lights and sirens going everywhere and I didn't even stir! lol!  We still joke about that and now I have one of the vocal alarms too.  :)

*side note:  The house burned because of faulty wiring.  The family all were safe including pets and were able to rebuild the house of their "dreams" afterwards.  They had apparently been saving up to build onto the house anyway and were able to stay with family during the build.  Good folks. Hope they're still there. :)

CafeMom Tickers
reelo
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM

We have a newer house so we have interlinked smokae alarms in every room, one goes off they all go off, and they are LOUD.  Amazingly enough, we had them go off one time (dead battery) at like 0200 and the 6 year old slept through it.  It's hit or miss with kids, a lot of fire departments are now recommending the voice one (you record something like "wake up Chris!") or ones with the lights as well as alarm.

gkm15099
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM

That's great!  do you use both your regular alarm and the voice alarm?  I am thinking that I might now wake up to my own voice, so I was going to leave the alarm up and then put the voice ones up in the girls room and in the hall beside the girls room. 

Quoting okeefe11:

When I was in high school the house 2 doors down from us burned to the ground during the night.  There were 2 fire trucks, a couple of ambulances, and several police cars that answered the call.  The entire neighborhood woke up and were all outside, my family included.  My bedroom was on the same side of the house as the house that burned, and I slept with my window open (it was early summer). The headboard of my bed was under that window.  My family was standing by that window when my dad realized he didn't see me around.  Then he heard me snoring!  He looked in the window and of course I hadn't woken up.  Lights and sirens going everywhere and I didn't even stir! lol!  We still joke about that and now I have one of the vocal alarms too.  :)

*side note:  The house burned because of faulty wiring.  The family all were safe including pets and were able to rebuild the house of their "dreams" afterwards.  They had apparently been saving up to build onto the house anyway and were able to stay with family during the build.  Good folks. Hope they're still there. :)

gkm15099
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I ordered the kids smart vocal smoke detector, because it has the best rating on the market!

Quoting reelo:

We have a newer house so we have interlinked smokae alarms in every room, one goes off they all go off, and they are LOUD.  Amazingly enough, we had them go off one time (dead battery) at like 0200 and the 6 year old slept through it.  It's hit or miss with kids, a lot of fire departments are now recommending the voice one (you record something like "wake up Chris!") or ones with the lights as well as alarm.

FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Years ago when I lived in an apartment building I was doing laundry really late at night and something started overheating in the laundry room so all the smoke detectors in the entire building started going off including the ones in each apartment.  Not only did my husband and son sleep through blaring smoke detectors (and screaming sirens from the fire dept and police) but also the other 8 families in the building.  It very scary.

Crystallynn
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM

both of my kids sleep through the fire alarm.  They are crazy- and its not like its far away from their bedrooms.  We rent, so we have just the regular alarms, but I might have to look into getting the vocal ones.  thanks for positng this!

SunnyJoJo
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM

How scary! I'm glad everyone is ok though!

I watched a new report a few years ago about how people normally won't wake up to regular smoke dectectors for some reason. But they respond better to a voice like in the vocal detectors you said you ordered. It's so weird because that darn alarm is the most annoying thing you ever heard but something about the noise doesn't normally register to people in their sleep.

Our family is little and broken, but still good.

monkeysmom21006
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Hmm..I should probably test out my alarms on my kids. They usually wake up, and are scared to death of the fire alarms, but I should definitely give it a try. I'm a hard sleeper, I don't even know if I would wake up. I could sleep through a bad earthquake. Wonder if there is a way to check THAT?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)