Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about child support? does anyone know?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:11 AM
  • 372 Replies

my dh pays child support for his daughter.  he pays like 250 a month plus health insurance.  but this figure was set a couple of eyars ago whenhe was only making 8 bucks an hr.  now he is graduated and making like 20 bucks an hr so im sure that figure will go up.  the problem is is that we couldnt afford much more of a hike.  we have back taxes and back student loans and we are just so not doing well financially right now.  does the fact that dh now has two kids with me to support?  well a 10 mos old an another one on the way due in may.  i mean they need support just as much as his 1st daughter does right?  im worried that that wont matter.  i mean they are doing pretty well over there while we are struggling.  so does anyone know anything about this?

in lovemarried 11/09/07 teen girlDSD 7/31/97 baby boyDS 2/27/09

expecting girldue 5/21/10

Im a vaxing, non-circing, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, NIP no matter how uncomfortable it makes you because my son deserves the best nutrition whether we're in public or not, extended rear-facing supporter, non CIO, co-sleeping/bedding, anti-antiobiotcs for every little sniffle, house is totally lived in dirty but clean enough as to be civilized, pro-choice, thinks religion is a completely silly concept, do whatever you think is best for you and yours as I will mine,  mama who loves my family more than words can express and is always up for healthy debating and meeting new friends.  You the same?  Hit me up!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM

It depends on the state you are in.  Some states give "credits' for other children he has and some don't.  You'll have to check your laws.

ashmac03
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I am not sure about that.  In CA I don't think it matters.  However in CA the only reason your CS would go up is if his ex filed for more child support.  Otherwise the amount will stay the same.  

Crystallynn

I think in order for it to go up- one of them has to take the case back to court........ I dont think they will just raise it on their own.  I could be wrong though.

babyboomboom

The court doesn't care how many kids he has now all they care about is the first one.  The fist child deserves and needs the financial support and you shouldn't be trying to take that from her.  You got involved with your DH knowing he had another child from a previous relationship and you choose to have more children with him.  If money is tight then you could get a job and help support your children. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Photobucket
MommyAkaTiffany
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Search the Internet for a child support calculator for your state.

PS you having children with him will not change his previous support arrangements, but his pay might.

expecting girltoddler girl

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:17 AM

So as long as the first child is getting support screw his other kids?  That is a fucked up way of thinking.  Yes, some courts do care.  All of them should.

Quoting babyboomboom:

The court doesn't care how many kids he has now all they care about is the first one.  The fist child deserves and needs the financial support and you shouldn't be trying to take that from her.  You got involved with your DH knowing he had another child from a previous relationship and you choose to have more children with him.  If money is tight then you could get a job and help support your children. 

MommyAkaTiffany
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM

actually I think it is the other way around why should his first child and EX get screwed because he keeps having kids?!

Quoting WifeyC:

So as long as the first child is getting support screw his other kids?  That is a fucked up way of thinking.  Yes, some courts do care.  All of them should.

Quoting babyboomboom:

expecting girltoddler girl

TheresaGeorge
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM

In my state Kansas it depends on the number of children he has to support.  There is no law anywhere that says the first child deserves more than the his other children.  He has three children and all of them deserve equal support.  They also can't up the amount he pays without taking the issue back to court only a judge can increase the amount.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM

He isn't supposed to support the ex, only his child.  All of his kids deserve equal support.

Quoting MommyAkaTiffany:

actually I think it is the other way around why should his first child and EX get screwed because he keeps having kids?!

Quoting WifeyC:

Quoting babyboomboom:

mommy_lisa25
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM

First, does he pay through the state agency or through the courts? State agencies can review child support cases when there's a change in pay (the percentage of change depends on the state), if it goes through the court they wait for you to file. State agencies don't have to wait.

Second, it depends on whether it's through the state, your state's laws, and the judge if its through a court if additional children will factor in. With ORS in the state of Utah additional children are factored in. BUT it's entirely dependent on where you are and how the child support is set up.

Unfortunately, none of us can really give you a definitive answer. You're best bet is either going to the state's child support calculator if it's done through a state agency, or checking your state's laws if it's through the courts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)