Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hoping I did the right thing.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM
  • 16 Replies

My 11 DS has been sick for 2 wks and missed school. Throwing up , No fever or other symptoms.. Dr. have run blood and stool tests they came back fine,, One Dr. ordered an ultrasound of his stomach to see if he was constipated or not.. Well, he was a little.. On meds now. Dr. said " This MAY be the problem maybe not but let's see."
He was fine all weekend no throwing up... Then this morning he started throwing up. Crying he couldn't go to school b/c he is sick... I about had a nevrous breakdown... He  was fine all weekend. Trying to figure what the heck is going on.. He's not being bullied or anything.
He said " Kids are going to ask where he's been?"  I told him " It's none of there business and just say you have been sick" Maybe the are noisy or really care.
The school and teachers know to excuse him ASAP if he has to get sick.
Well, I took him to school even  though he was crying and upset., That was at 9:15am. He said "" I'll try but I might call home."  Okay but I have no intention on going to get him. He needs to be there.I didn't tell him this.
So, He calls at 10am.. I'm sick mom... I told them to keep him and wait a little longer.
I have counselors going to call me to help with this. They are doing 8th grade Freshman scheduling  for next yr.   today so it may take a while.
Did I do the right thing? Making him stay? What if he calls back again? Would you go get him?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_4kiddos
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Come on I know this is not drama but I know someone has something. 16 views and NO one ??

rnflo
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I wish I could say yes or no but it isn't that easy.  I was sick a lot as a child and sometimes I could make it through the day, sometimes I couldn't.  It does sound a little like he is nervous about school.  Has he ever not wanted to go before?  Have you talked to his teachers to see if something happened that you weren't informed of?  I would see if you could get him to talk to someone, even if it isn't you, to kind of uproot the problem.  He may not even consciously know it is what is bothering him.  Good luck.  You sound like you are doing the best you possibly can.  Hopefully I will do the same.

pregnancy week by week
mom_4kiddos
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:39 AM

No, never any problem at school. He gets good grades and has friends.  I think he really was sick over that time. But know is nervous about going back.. He said something about catching up on all the school work.. I told him in order to that he needs to go so he can catch up. It'll keep building up and he'll never get caught up.
I'm waiting for the counselors to call so they can talk to him and make sure it's nothing more. Maybe they can reassure him he'll be okay.

ProudMom9799
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:46 AM

i was thinking the same thing, but i dont know ur some well enough to judge that. ur his mom - u know him better.

i would have sent him too. i have an 11yr son too and he has on occassion pulled the i dont feel good card...usually there was a test or assignment due that he wasnt prepared for but he is not a big puker - so if he was throwing up ..then i would know he needed to stay home

Quoting rnflo:

I wish I could say yes or no but it isn't that easy.  I was sick a lot as a child and sometimes I could make it through the day, sometimes I couldn't.  It does sound a little like he is nervous about school.  Has he ever not wanted to go before?  Have you talked to his teachers to see if something happened that you weren't informed of?  I would see if you could get him to talk to someone, even if it isn't you, to kind of uproot the problem.  He may not even consciously know it is what is bothering him.  Good luck.  You sound like you are doing the best you possibly can.  Hopefully I will do the same.

Wendy_June
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I don't know.. My son is only 4 and he just says he's sick to get coughdrops.

Just_Me_1326
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM

i would have gone to get him personally.  but that's just me... no one can say if you did the right thing because we don't live your life or know your son..

MamatoNandB
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I personally wouldn't send my son to go to school throwing up. Even if the drs have cleared him from having anything seriously wrong, it could be some kind of bug that's contagious. Not to mention you feel like dog crap throwing up.

Carah

Proud lesbian mama to Braedan and Noah

Girlfriend to Emily (AKA the boys' EmdyMom!)

millerranch2003
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:25 PM

IMO, sounds like he's nervous because of all the makeup work that he will have to do.  If he's not running a fever, it sounds like you handled it well.  But you know your son and know if he's faking it.  Good luck, hope he gets to feeling better.

Solo_Fan
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Did you actually see him throw up or he just told you he was?  If he was......I would not have sent him.  I would have kept him home and talked to him to see what is bothering him.  If he said nothing is wrong.....then I would start emailing the teachers and calling his friends parents to ask the kids if they see someone bothering him.

Pnukey
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Yikes! After 2 weeks, I'd have sent him back too. I hope he's feeling better soon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)