Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

birthday cakes

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:06 PM
  • 35 Replies

do you or have you made your child their birthday cake? If you have pictures please show me. I am thinking of spider man or spongebob. Also do you make your own icing? I can make wonderful icing but if you have a good recipie please let me borrow it. Thank you! I am trying to save as much money as possible and stil make it look good.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariscilla
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM
oh you should look in my pictures. i can t load them up here on this computer so you will have to go to my page and i have a sponge bob cake too. i made both the elmo, smash cake and sponge bob cake.***edited with pic*** Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket the icing on the elmo is foundant bit the other two crisco, powder sugar and vanilla (except the eyes, mouth and spots on sponge bob, they are fondant
Christine0813
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM

This cake was my very first that wasn't out of a box, lol. It was for my DD's 2nd b-day. I made butter cream frosting. You can just google it or it will probably be in a character cake pan if you buy one. I plan on doing a Lightning McQueen for my son in March.

cinderella22_17
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Here is a Spongebob cake my sister and I made for fun this past summer. I used a buttercream frosting and the cake was choc and vanilla with a choc raspberry filling.

Xantho
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Here are my cakes.

I have a lot more...I do them for a side business.

KDeneau71009
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I made this for my daughter's 5th birthday =)

Mamas1stbaby
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I don't have any pictures, but there is a Cake 101 group on CM. 

mom2dane07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Quoting Xantho:

Here are my cakes.

I have a lot more...I do them for a side business.

these are awesome. do you mind me asking how you make your icing?

mom2dane07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:33 PM

also to the ones that do this quite often, do you use a paper towel to smooth out the icing? Thats what a few people have told me they do.

snoopy21276
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:33 PM

bumping LOL my son turns 6 wednesday and I am planning to attempt making a LEGO cake :) would love icing recipes!

mariscilla
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Quoting mom2dane07:

also to the ones that do this quite often, do you use a paper towel to smooth out the icing? Thats what a few people have told me they do.

i did for the spongebob and smash cak since they were butter cream-viva paper towels
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)