Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bloodeboorne diseases and hippa?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM
  • 32 Replies

So we all know that hippa protects our medical privacy right?

We ll what is you view point when it comes to hippa and school. Here's a scenario, your child goes to school, a child scrapes themselves, and your child unknowingly touches thier blood on a toy or play equipment, then touching their eye or mouth, they now have come in contact with the blood, unfortunately the bleeding child has aids, but because of hippa, you will never know, and your child could now have aids.

So whats your view??

It's terrifying to me, while I understand its not this child's fault he/she has aids, I do not want my child to get it either! I just heard the other day from my dd that one of her classmates spit in her face, the teacher didn't even tell me dd did, and even if she did if this child were to have aids it would be too late. So what do you think? Is there a way to keep our kids safe and if so what about the poor children with aids?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amayabrianna
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I THINK that if there is a chance that your child might have contracted something they must tell you so your can get your child tested. From what I understand HIPPA is to protect a patient's medical history correct but when it infringes on another it is not kept confidential. Like they can't tell you that another child has aids but if your child isin the scenario as you mentioned I believe they can. I might be wrong here but I think that's how it works.  

__Pro_Choice_is_NOT______stamp_by_T.gif Pro Choice not Pro Abortion image by croatoan5376ifyoucant30.jpg pro choice image by karmaschaos3756f1d9.jpg menstruation is murder! image by karmaschaosPro-choice.gif Pro choice image by Treehugger30

thextended-rear-facing.gif image by MommabunchCopyofFinalcarseatblinkie.gif image by Mommabunch

perfectkitten
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM

You know that's a good question. I can't answer. Although I COMPLETELY see where your coming from. I would think that someone with a blood-borne disease some would take precautions. Someone has to know. A child has to have a physical and forms filled out to start school. WOW! This is just a mind boggling question. 

BlessedToBMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Right, but say the child that spit at my child, has aids (he doesnt) but still, it would be too late at that point. But if they let us know ahead of time of course noone would put thier child in with someone hiv positive. But from my pov I'm feeling like homeschooling because its scary that they arent protecting our kids before it happens.

Quoting amayabrianna:

I THINK that if there is a chance that your child might have contracted something they must tell you so your can get your child tested. From what I understand HIPPA is to protect a patient's medical history correct but when it infringes on another it is not kept confidential. Like they can't tell you that another child has aids but if your child isin the scenario as you mentioned I believe they can. I might be wrong here but I think that's how it works.  

OneToughMami
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM

First, is there a reason you are being so paranoid about this? Did this actually happen or are these hypotheticals? I am pretty certain if a child in a classroom is HIV positive or has full blown AIDS, there would be preventative measures taken. You spitting scenario, a person with AIDS can spit on you and nothing will happen, as long as you clean it off. You should look into how HIV/AIDS are spread.

Do you enjoy wrestling? Click the picture and tune in to the Golden Creveat Wrestling Show every Wednesday and Friday at 7:00 pm, to discuss the latest WWE, TNA, Indy, and MMA news and hot topics.

perfectkitten
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

Right, but say the child that spit at my child, has aids (he doesnt) but still, it would be too late at that point. But if they let us know ahead of time of course noone would put thier child in with someone hiv positive. But from my pov I'm feeling like homeschooling because its scary that they arent protecting our kids before it happens.

Quoting amayabrianna:

That response is going to open up a whole can of worms. Not being mean.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM

AIDS is not transmitted via saliva.

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

Quoting amayabrianna:

Honeybun09

I believe that if there's any possibility that a tainted child spread his/her blood somewhere somehow, they are allowed to notify the people it concerns.

I am a US citizen, formula feeding but will breastfeed until child self weans next time, co-sleeping, extended rear facing and harnessing to the maximum, God loving and fearing, anti-spanking and time-out, anti-CIO, wanting another baby but waiting, disposable diapering but will cloth diaper next time, training to be a child care assistant, natural family planning (no birth control AT ALL) mommy to one beautiful mixed baby girl!  My husband is a legal Mexican United States citizen, who is the most amazing man, husband, and father.

Have a Baby? Join us in the Babies group! ~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~

mommam58122

I think i would be pissed that the teacher didnt even bother to tell you first off and secondly correct me if i am wrong but i think i heard that if aids is contacted with the air it dies? so therefore if a child touched infected blood on the playground they shouldnt have anything to worry about

BlessedToBMommy

Isnt it!? While I feel bad for the other sick children and dont want them to be pushed aside I dont want my child to get it too! At 5 I'm not really sure they "get it" , maybe older children can take precautions, but the younger ones, I want to say I think we should be informed so we can choose t o not put our child at risk, but I do see the problems with that also.

Quoting perfectkitten:

You know that's a good question. I can't answer. Although I COMPLETELY see where your coming from. I would think that someone with a blood-borne disease some would take precautions. Someone has to know. A child has to have a physical and forms filled out to start school. WOW! This is just a mind boggling question. 

ARmommyof2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

HIV is only passed blood to blood, so spitting at your child would not infect them, but when any child is infected, the health department keeps updated records of treatments adn the schools have to be notified so the school nurses can make sure the children and families are compliant that the meds are taken correctly.  If your child was in an incident, they would take the measures to treat immediately, but they still could not tell you which child may have been the infectious one.  It's handled the same way health care professionals handle accidental sticks or cuts.

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

Quoting amayabrianna:

Do you have a child with or know a mom that has a child with Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome? Then follow me for support!  http://www.cafemom.com/group/beckwith-wiedemannsupport

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)