Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone else's mom do this?! A LOOOONG vent

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM
  • 21 Replies

First, let me say this. My mom... is a drama queen. Always has been. She NEEDS to be the center of attention.

That being said, she's driving my husband NUTS! (I've been there awhile)

When she wants to get ahold of you, she calls.. and calls.. and calls.. and calls.. you get the idea.

I've asked her to stop. She refuses to leave voicemails (of any substance) or to text message. She'll call you four times, then leave a message that just says "Call me", when she could've just as easily said "I need to know if DH likes corn or not". It's SO FRUSTRATING!

It was ok when it was just me, but NOW she's doing it to DH. I've told her, DO. NOT. CALL. HIM. If you can't get ahold of me, and it's not an emergency, then tough shit. He's not supposed to have his cell phone on him at work, but I make him, in case there's an emergency (he works as an industrial painter, its not like I can call the "office", his cell phone is the only way to get ahold of him).

She called him a few weeks ago, because she couldn't get a hold of me. His boss was talking to him, and his phone keeps going off, and he almost got fired. Why, because she wanted to "talk", and she was "worried" when she couldn't get a hold of me. (I'm a SAHM, my phone was off, and she'd just spoken to me the day before).

I'm terrified she's going to push my husband over the edge. We've already gotten into fights over it, because he feels she's my responsibilty, but I can't MAKE her stop calling, I've asked her on numerous occasions, and it doesn't make any difference.

Ok.. sigh.. done ranting. Am I the only one with a crazy mom?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tricia27
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:21 PM

My mom use to do the same thing!  Drove me insane.  Tell hubby to put his phone on viberate at work.  And remind your mom that she is driving you crazy.  But cherish it my mom died unexpectedly in April and even though we didn't get along I would love for her to blow up my phone now

luckypenny720
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

you could change his number and NOT give it to her... then there would be no issue of her calling him.  Of course then the issue would probably that she doesn't have his number.  GL with this one. 

crochetmama
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:24 PM

He can have her phone number blocked so she can't call. You both might want to have that done.

Sara - Mom to Rebekah and Abigail with 5 angels in Heaven and doing the ChaCha since December 2009!  Visit ChaCha at www.ChaCha.com and become a guide or ask your own question!

Trishintraining
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Lol, it's not that I don't ever want to talk to her, it's that I want her to respect our privacy, and that we have a seperate life from her.

We've actually considered having her blocked on DH's phone, but I'm paranoid an ACTUAL emergency will occur and my phone will be dead or something.  

jenofalltrades
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM

He could just set her ring tone to silent.  Then the call will still show up but he won't have ringing while at work.

aviatorswife
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:31 PM

sounds like your mom is in need of a hobby. are all of you kids out of the house now? I know after we all moved out my aunt (who raised me) would  call like that. She had to be all in our business and was suffocating us. she finally got involved in a few community clubs and made some more freinds and she doesn't harrass us anymore. It's nice and we actually enjoying talking with her again now.

The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

isra1986
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM

My husbands family overseas is like this!
And they call my phone. None of them speak English! It's frusterating.
My MIL learned to ask "Where is Sam sweetie?" But she doesn't understand when I tell her he is at work.
If he doesn't answer his phone because he is busy at work, they call and call and call. Me, the store phone, his phone!!!!

WildKat
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM

My in-laws do this - but not to the extent that your Mom does. 

My advice is to change all your phone numbers except for ONE cheapie pre-paid cell phone.  Give her that phone number and NONE of the other ones.  When she bitches, just tell her she abused her phone priviledges and since she has been unwilling to respect your wishes, you've been forced to take drastic measures.

Another option would be to log all calls and file harassment charges...  that can be harder with family that you do want *some* contact with. 

Good luck and peace,

Kat

Trishintraining
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Quoting aviatorswife:

sounds like your mom is in need of a hobby. are all of you kids out of the house now? I know after we all moved out my aunt (who raised me) would  call like that. She had to be all in our business and was suffocating us. she finally got involved in a few community clubs and made some more freinds and she doesn't harrass us anymore. It's nice and we actually enjoying talking with her again now.

She's actually insanely involved in her church. She goes three times a week, is in a ton of groups, and is always voluntering there. If only that kept her busy. She has a fulltime job, and she goes to concerts every weekend. I wish it were as simple as keeping her busy :)

It's not just us she does it with, either. She does it to my dad all the time. He cuts tree's for a living, so he's often up in a tree running a chainsaw, and leaves his phone in his truck. She will call.. and call.. and call.. and call.. just to say, I wanted to know what's up. It's gotten to the point where my dad will break his cell phone so that he can go a week or so without being badgered.

Sorry, lol, its just so gosh darn irritating!

Trishintraining
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Quoting isra1986:

My husbands family overseas is like this!
And they call my phone. None of them speak English! It's frusterating.
My MIL learned to ask "Where is Sam sweetie?" But she doesn't understand when I tell her he is at work.
If he doesn't answer his phone because he is busy at work, they call and call and call. Me, the store phone, his phone!!!!

Oh my goodness! I'd go nuts if I couldn't atleast scream at my mom in a language she understands :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)