Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your fixing what?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM
  • 43 Replies

Do you ever say something & people just look at your like your crazy?

I'm from Oklahoma, currently stationed in Washington. If I say, "I'm fixing to go to Target." People look at me like I'm nuts. Apparently "fixing to" is not normally said up here. By saying "fixing to" I mean, I'm about to or I'm going to.

Or sometimes instead of saying "Oh my gosh" or something I'll say, "Gaaah." Again, I get the WTF look. lol

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamadrama07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I'm in Alabama, and "fixing to" is a common phrase around here, lol.  

oceanus407
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM

No I don't get those looks, but I give them..LOL. Apparently I'm starting to reach that age gap where the slang has changed and I have no idea what my BIL is saying sometimes...LOL 

Ha! Made you look!

millerranch2003
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I am also originally from Oklahoma and live in Texas now.  I say Ya'll, and everyone thinks it's so funny.  They also say that I have an accent?  Whatever!  I bet they think you talk funny to.  So do drink coke also, meaning that your drinking a soda? 

ssnelson26
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM

guilty!  and i say i reckon!  im so country!  im from SC, and when i was in ND, everyone loved my 'accent' lol

The definition of Twatwaffle: Recently added to the endangered species list; Envied and by all, A twatwaffle is a magical sentient being that flies around on rainbows; it is a friend of unicorns! When twatwaffles are not swirling around in the sky, you can often find them digging around in medical waste or pushing homeless people into their own shallow puddles of urine.

lovinmykiddo07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Quoting millerranch2003:

I am also originally from Oklahoma and live in Texas now.  I say Ya'll, and everyone thinks it's so funny.  They also say that I have an accent?  Whatever!  I bet they think you talk funny to.  So do drink coke also, meaning that your drinking a soda? 

haha yes! Every "soda" is a coke to me. lol If I hear anyone up here say "Y'all" it remindes me of home. :)

lovinmykiddo07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Quoting ssnelson26:

guilty!  and i say i reckon!  im so country!  im from SC, and when i was in ND, everyone loved my 'accent' lol

I say that too, sometimes I'll saw howdy. One day (I teach preschool) I said howdy to one of my kids & she said, 'I thought only peopl ein the desert say howdy & wear cowboy boots" (I had my boots on, jeans tucked in).

MommytoNandA
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I say that sometimes.  I say oh my gosh and goodness when I am around the kids, but I am a big fan of oh my God!  When my son was like two he kept saying "Oh me God, oh me God!"  So I tried to stop, LOL.

We live in VA and we moved here when I was 6 form SC.  I always remember my dad couldn't get over people calling the trunk of the car a "boot."  Or when people would say "pop."  LOL.

prego7386
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM

HA! im from a small town in south Georgia...i live in southern California now...EVERYTHING i say gets a weird look lmao

lovinmykiddo07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I bet! Where at in south Georgia? My (almost) MIL owns a store in Thomasville & I have friends in Moultrey (sp). SO was born & raised in Northern Florida/Southern Georgia & he speaks so properly. I'm like how did that happen? There's not a hint of a southern drawl when he talks!

Quoting prego7386:

HA! im from a small town in south Georgia...i live in southern California now...EVERYTHING i say gets a weird look lmao

kaitlynsmom1230
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Hey! I'm in Moultrie...My fiance works in Thomasville..Small world

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

I bet! Where at in south Georgia? My (almost) MIL owns a store in Thomasville & I have friends in Moultrey (sp). SO was born & raised in Northern Florida/Southern Georgia & he speaks so properly. I'm like how did that happen? There's not a hint of a southern drawl when he talks!

Quoting prego7386:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)