Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help:)

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:07 PM
  • 5 Replies
I have a five month old son, my first, and he won't go to sleep on his own,  He has to be put to sleep, by me.  What can I do to help him go to sleep on his own?
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kensjo
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:12 PM
I forgot the name of the dr. that came up with this but here is what worked for us...

On the first night, lay the baby in the crip, pat thier back just briefly and leave the room very matter of factly.  Go back in about every 3 minutes until the c hild is asleep. Yes he will cry.  DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT OF THE CRIB! Just assure them you are there and leave..

the next night go in every five minutes,

the next night every 10.

usualy by this time they  stop fighting it. Trick is, you can not pick the child up, just lay them down. tell them good night and leave. let them cry. sooner or later they will teach themselves how to get tosleep on their own.

I wish I could tell you who the dr. is that teaches this method.. they have a great book out about it, written in the 80's

Good luck h un

Jo
kensjo
I forgot the name of the dr. that came up with this but here is what worked for us...

On the first night, lay the baby in the crip, pat thier back just briefly and leave the room very matter of factly.  Go back in about every 3 minutes until the c hild is asleep. Yes he will cry.  DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT OF THE CRIB! Just assure them you are there and leave..

the next night every 10.

usualy by this time they  stop fighting it. Trick is, you can not pick the child up, just lay them down. tell them good night and leave. let them cry. sooner or later they will teach themselves how to get tosleep on their own.

I wish I could tell you who the dr. is that teaches this method.. they have a great book out about it, written in the 80's

Good luck h un

Jo
kensjo

the next night every 10.

Good luck h un

Jo
sarahmea
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:19 PM
Super tough to say... my daughter is 18 moths old now and she was a very easy baby. Here are some tips that we used to train her to comfort herself.... 1. clean diaper and feed (ensure comfort) maybe room is too hot, ideal nursery temp is 68 degrees F 2. start a night ritual read a book, bathe, sing ect same thing every nite so baby realizes that this means bedtime 3. put baby to bed.... Its hard but allow them to cry for about 5 min...go in and comfort. DO NOT PICK UP leave room once baby is calm and repeat adding 5 minutes between each comforting (wait 10 mins next time) 4. of course listen to your instincts if baby is crying for what they need or what they want... they learn very quickly how to comfort themselves but it is tough to thear them sad hope this helps my daughter has slept about 10 hours uninterupted since she was 6 months old Sarah
cadysmama
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:59 PM
I had a really hard time giving up that cuddle time so I waited until my daughter was about 8 months old (when my husband forced me to). It only took a couple days but I did something very similar to the first post, but I started at 15 mins. I allowed her to cry and if it was continuous for 15 mins I would go in and rub her back to let her know I was there then I would leave again. If her crys were broken up that just meant she was trying to get herself to sleep so I would leave her alone. I also used the radio, it helped her sleep better. I found Delilah to be quite sleep inducing for both me and her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)