Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wii and bad sportsmanship

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: Should Wii set a better example for good sportsmanship?

Options:

Yes, they should show kids how to be a good loser

No, it's fine the way it is

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

We have a Wii and enjoy it. My son is too young to use it so he's never played. We had my nieces over and they were playing with us and something really bothered me.

When you loose a game your mii pouts and even sometimes throws itself to the ground and pounds its fists. Our nieces (5 and7) mimicked the behavior during the game. They were just joking, not throwing real tantrums, but it still bothered me.

Is there anyone else who thinks it was poor choice for the miis to behave the way they do? I asked in the answers section and didn't get much of agreement. I thought this was something that most moms would be disappointed by.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof2girls00
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Personally I dnt care, just have fun with the games and thats it

Learn from yesterday.. Live for today.. Hope for tomorrow...

Proud mother of Debbie listening to tunes & Ashley toddler girl

ameliasmama1
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I think it is the parents job to teach not the video game.

3lilqts
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Exactly.

Quoting ameliasmama1:

I think it is the parents job to teach not the video game.

Swtmama62205
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:43 PM

My kids dont learn behavior from video games they learn whats right and wrong from me

pregnancy calendar

Stay at home mommy to two little boys Noah who is 4 and Andrew who is 2! And a loving wife to my wonderful husband Ryan=)
KristaP13
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM

It's not the Wii's job to teach good sportsmanship, that would be a job for the parent. It would also be a good time to bring up good and bad sportsmanship, seeing as they have an example handy for you right there :).

maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I agree it's the parents' job to teach sportsmanship, but that doesn't mean kids aren't influenced by other things.

KristaP13
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I agree that children are influenced by other things, but that doesn't mean that everything has to rated "G". Especially a game that is for adults and kids. KWIM?

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I agree it's the parents' job to teach sportsmanship, but that doesn't mean kids aren't influenced by other things.

maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Quoting KristaP13:

I agree that children are influenced by other things, but that doesn't mean that everything has to rated "G". Especially a game that is for adults and kids. KWIM?

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I do think of video games as being primarily for kids. I see what you mean about everything being G-rated. But I don't think it would detract from the game at all if the miis had more of an "awe shucks" attitude when they lose.

TygerLily62
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I hope that my children will reflect the way that I've raised them, and not the behavior of a video game...

KristaP13
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Wii sports is not just for kids though. Whether you think it or not. Adults play that game alot too. Especially while socializing with other adults & when those adults are losing against eachother, they aren't very good sports. We have the game and play it frequently with our friends, so I know lol. I've seen grown men act the way those mii's do.

The point is that you can tell them, "That mii has bad sportsmanship, and that's a bad thing". It's not up to nintendo to make games politically correct or morally correct. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting KristaP13:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I do think of video games as being primarily for kids. I see what you mean about everything being G-rated. But I don't think it would detract from the game at all if the miis had more of an "awe shucks" attitude when they lose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)