Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP - rust on my cast iron skillet

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM
  • 13 Replies

So I did a bad thing.  I made mac and cheese in my cast iron skillet Friday night.  Fried it a bit on the stove to brown the bottom, then a few minutes under the broiler to brown the top.  (I like the crunchy burnt cheese bits.... LOL.) 

After dinner, the mac was seriously stuck to the bottom of the pan - even a metal spatula wouldn't scrape it off.  So I figured I'd soak it for a bit in hot water (no soap).

Then my whole family was sick all weekend and I totally forgot about it. 

This morning the edges looked rusty so I scrubbed off the rust (and the rest of the stuff) with a brush and hot water (again, no soap) and tried to dry the pan on the stove, like I usually do.  The entire bottom center of the pan is now rusty looking. 

Is there anything I can do to salvage my pan??? I love cooking with it and am afraid I've destroyed it. 

Peace,

Kat

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WildKat
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:21 PM

bump - anyone?

davidjames07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:22 PM

i did the same thing to my corn bread pan. Its in the shape of ears of corn, and I washed it (no soap) and set it on a towel to dry it and my son called me and i completly forgot about it so now its rusty in the corn cobs and Im definately wondering what i can do to fix it. Dh was so upset but he knows i have short term memory loss sometimes i'd forget my head if it wasnt attached to my shoulders.

Breastfeeding/formula feeding, non-circumcising, vaccinating, co-sleeping, disposable diapering, spanking when needed, forward faced at 1, feed my son whatever he wants in moderation,  Wife to Joey since 01/06, mother to David James since 07/12/07, and pregnant with baby number two due June 7, 2010.

Wistful
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:24 PM

I know when I was growing up my father always made us oil (vegetable oil) the skillet after we would wash it and just let it sit on top of the stove to let the oil set in. Not sure if that would help or not.

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

teacup714
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:24 PM

the best advice i can give to this one... ask your grandma..... every grandmother ive ever met is more inlove with her cast iron skillit than with her hubby......

WildKat
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Quoting Wistful:

I know when I was growing up my father always made us oil (vegetable oil) the skillet after we would wash it and just let it sit on top of the stove to let the oil set in. Not sure if that would help or not.

Usually after I dry it on the stove, I spray it lightly with cooking spray.  I've tried oiling it before, but whatever I use leaves a ton of lint, so someone turned me on to spray oil... LOL.

Peace,

Kat

WildKat
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Quoting teacup714:

the best advice i can give to this one... ask your grandma..... every grandmother ive ever met is more inlove with her cast iron skillit than with her hubby......

I am 40.  I wish I still had a grandma to ask...  Maybe I'll call my Mom...

Peace,

Kat

Kizbee
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Try scrubbing it with steel wool.

sydneysmomma11
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Oil it to stop the rust before it starts. If it is rusted, you build a fire outside and throw it in there and let it burn. I know sounds horrible but my 70 year old mother in law swore it worked. I tried it and it did!

WildKat
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Quoting Kizbee:

Try scrubbing it with steel wool.

I'm snowed in and don't have any...  argh.  LOL.  I may have to wait a few days.

Peace,

Kat

WildKat
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Okay - so I googled it and found this - for anyone else that's interested. 

http://www.ehow.com/how_114309_remove-rust-cast.html

Thanks for all your suggestions, ladies!!

Peace,

Kat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)