Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone had an HSG?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Did having the HSG hurt?

Options:

yes it did hurt

no it didn't hurt, it was uncomfortable

it was neither uncomfortable nor did it hurt

neither applies..never had a HSG

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

I have an HSG scheduled for tomorrow to see if my tubes were tied correctly. They explained the procedure to me. I am just wondering if it is painful. The lady told me painful for some but uncomfortable for most. If you had one...was it painful? uncomfortable? Thanks in advance. Also...does anyone know if it would be okay to take something for the pain beforehand just in case?

TO VIEW OR ORDER CUTE NAME PLAQUES, BOW HOLDERS AND OTHER ROOM DECOR FOR YOUR LITTLE ONE, PLEASE VISIT WWW.BRITSBRATZ.ETSY.COM

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jusjream
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM

bump

TO VIEW OR ORDER CUTE NAME PLAQUES, BOW HOLDERS AND OTHER ROOM DECOR FOR YOUR LITTLE ONE, PLEASE VISIT WWW.BRITSBRATZ.ETSY.COM

aleciamarie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I had an HSG done last year to check to see if anything was blocking my tubes and therefore causing infertility.  When they put the catheter in, it didn't hurt, but once the fluid was injected, I cramped up...it felt like severe menstrual cramps.  I was given an antibiotic to take the day of the procedure to keep infection risk minimal.  I also took some advil before I went in.  I was able to go back to work for the rest of the day, but I dealt with moderate waves of cramps.  By dinner time, they had subsided.  Good luck!

Paesana82
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I agree with the PP, it hurt, like really bad cramps. Your doc can give you something for the pain so you can take it before you go in.

I've heard, but I'm not sure if it's true, that it hurts more if your tube is blocked/tied?? I'm not sure though.....I've just heard that.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

imamombygrace
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:52 PM

I also had one(infertility issues) and as previous poster said..the initial insert of the catheter did not hurt. When they started pumping the contrast in and it begin to spread...It felt like period cramps to me.

imamombygrace
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:54 PM

As above...the doctor also recommended I take two ibuprofen30 minutes before the procedure for pain. In my case I had some naproxen and I was told that would be fine take.

jusjream
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM

thanks ladies 

taraandguy
by on Feb. 16, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I just had one yesterday and my doctor said my left ovary had a possible obstruction. It hurt so bad. It felt like forever and I have a high pain threshold. I will find the results out tomorrow.

inspain
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I've had two.  One when I was trying to conceive 9 years ago and another 6 months ago as part of the whole ttc dance.  I was told to take a couple of ibuprofen before that first one.  I did.  It was uncomfortable and, once or twice, felt like I was being stabbed with a knife.  This last one, I was told to take a couple of ibuprofen.  This time, I took enough atavan to sedate a rhinoceros.  This last HSG was a fairly pleasant experience.  ;-)

The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions, is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble and that is what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong. - Bill Maher
KT9105
by on Feb. 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Yes and the procedure itself hurt a lot.  Once I got home, I was fine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)