Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public Services Vent

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:00 PM
  • 1 Replies

I am so pissed off...I just got a letter from DDD (Department of Developmental Disabilities) that they are now charging based on income for Children's Services. Based on my husband's income, we would have to pay over $500 a month for her services (40%), and the charge is by the HOUR. Where I live, we don't qualify for anything but DDD and that is only because she is at risk. Addisyn does not qualify for nursing, medicaid, or any type of assistance. I am not really complaining about that. I have my worries about the new healthcare bill and what that will mean for her since we have a very comprehensive plan that covers everything 100% As of now, we will not be affected by this, but in the future we may.

My complaint is about all of these kids that are going to be left behind because they don't have insurance, or insurance as good as mine and they can't afford to pay for these services. Does the state not realize that failure to care for these kids now, will result in more expenses for the state later? How many parents are going to have to forgo therapies for their children in order to put food on the table. You know yourselves, that having a child with special needs has expenses on its own.... Insurance co-pays, prescription co-pays, deductibles and coinsurance for hospital stays, extra stuff that the home health company does not provide such as Simply Thick and other supplies. I know for me, there have been weeks that I have paid over $100 alone on co-pays, prescriptions, not to mention the $100 in gas driving 70 miles a day for these various appointments. We pay a hefty amount of taxes, and even my neediest child doesn't get to reap the benefits that the system has in place to care for those that need it most. Why do we pay taxes? The painful part is that the new bill even includes those who are here illegally. People who are in this country illegally that do not contribute financially to our society will benefit from our healthcare, however children like Addisyn are likely to get less care and less of the services that they need.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Oh Dear, I'm so sorry you little girl is being let down by the services... I truly am sorry!

Even though I see everything getting worse with the new healthcare bill, I truly hope it doesnt come to that. I feel like all the responsible people will be pushed aside to make accomodations for the ones who do not contribute at all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)